Do I need planning for a garden room?

mrmcrae

So I am looking to replace an ageing garden shed with a 3x4 garden room however, I’m not sure if i need planning permission… 

Currently the shed fits between the house and the garden wall (basically the front and the roof sits on top of the 1.9m high wall and the other 3 sides are the house wall and the garden walls)

I have checked the planning portal and I don’t believe i do but where I want to put it is leaving me with some doubts.

From the outside it might look like an extension as I want to attach it to the side wall of the house but its not and from my understanding is that the width of an extension must not exceed 50% of the width of the main house.  This garden room i think might just be over 50% but as its not an extension I’m not sure if the same rules apply?

Although the depth on the attached plan says 2.5m, I’m looking at pushing it to 3m.  I will probably push the height to just under 2.5m as well which i believe is the max due to being within 2m of a boundary which in this case it is.

Any thoughts are welcome

B6755C15-C0E3-4760-A61B-EDA1E87594A6.thumb.jpeg.d3ff6772fbd624a5524f0ed68d6f9714.jpeg

Thanks for the link.  This is where it is still a bit of a grey area for as it keeps references ‘extension’.  What I am looking at doing is building what I believe is an ‘out building’.  The meaning of extension to me is that I would be extending the internal footprint of the house, which I am not trying to do.  

Basically looking at putting something like the attached garden room in between the house and the garden wall.

Thanks again.

4CB2CD6E-48B4-44AA-A7FB-7E4B1CDFE7BE.jpeg

Ok I think I understand now. Given your info,  my initial idea would likely mean it would fall under PD for extensions and would require planning permission.  So I would have to make sure it’s not physically attached to the house for it to be classed as an outbuilding and looking at the criteria it would be permitted. I think it’s still ok even if it’s a corner plot… 

8 hours ago, mrmcrae said:

my initial idea would likely mean it would fall under PD for extensions and would require planning permission.

Two different things. It’s either PD or would require Planning

However, I do think you now understand but just to be clear...

- Attached to the house would be deemed as an extension and would require Planning (as you’re a corner plot).

- Detached from the house would be deemed as an outbuilding and would constitute PD.

• Thanks 1