1m Boundary Query

Brenty1892

Hi All, 

Planning a garden room and I’m at a bit of a crossroads with regards to planning regs. I’m between 15-30m2 and planning to be more than 1m away from my boundaries. Question is I’m at the end of a street therefore my 3rd boundary borders a through road. Does this still fall within. The 1 m rule?

thanks

Planning Permission:

See the guide here (page 41 onwards) applies to out buildings.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/permitted-development-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance

There are several situations where Planning Permission might be needed but regarding this issue..

6 hours ago, Brenty1892 said:

Question is I’m at the end of a street therefore my 3rd boundary borders a through road.

If that's not the Principle Elevation of the house then you won't need planning permission for that reason.

Building Regulations

6 hours ago, Brenty1892 said:

I’m between 15-30m2 and planning to be more than 1m away from my boundaries.

You should not need to make a Building Control Application but it would be wise to follow some aspects of the Building Regulations such as use of safety glass in door panels /low glazing.

If you want electricity out there you should employ an electrician qualified to do work that is notifiable under Part P of the Building Regs/Approved Documents to do the work. He should/must notify Building Control of the work he has done. This would typically involve running SWA cable from your house to the garden room, fitting a small Consumer Unit (sometimes called a Garage CU) with seperate lighting and power circuits and installing an earth rod. You can save money by digging the trench yourself and back filling when he's done.

12 hours ago, DevilDamo said:

If it’s between 15-30sq.m and 1m away from the boundaries, it’s exempt from BR’s. Or are you asking if you can take it closer to the boundary with the highway?

Yes, i'm hoping to squeeze an extra 1m width by building up to my existing garden wall on the side with no neighbours

8 hours ago, Temp said:

Planning Permission:

See the guide here (page 41 onwards) applies to out buildings.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/permitted-development-rights-for-householders-technical-guidance

There are several situations where Planning Permission might be needed but regarding this issue..

If that's not the Principle Elevation of the house then you won't need planning permission for that reason.

Building Regulations

You should not need to make a Building Control Application but it would be wise to follow some aspects of the Building Regulations such as use of safety glass in door panels /low glazing.

If you want electricity out there you should employ an electrician qualified to do work that is notifiable under Part P of the Building Regs/Approved Documents to do the work. He should/must notify Building Control of the work he has done. This would typically involve running SWA cable from your house to the garden room, fitting a small Consumer Unit (sometimes called a Garage CU) with seperate lighting and power circuits and installing an earth rod. You can save money by digging the trench yourself and back filling when he's done.

Thank You.  All electrics are going to be done by qualified personnel, i won't touch them!  I'm just hoping to eek out an extra 1m building width by building up to me existing garden wall (that borders the side with no dwelling) but i don't want the cost of Cladco etc to bring it up to fire resistant regs