Water Cooled Air Con?

ashthekid

Anyone had any experience with using water cooled air con units?

Am looking at them for my project in a conservation area so no outside unit will be allowed - everything has to be internal. I've read that these water cooled units can be quite a good option in my situation.

Or would having an add-on air-to-air heat pump onto a potential MVHR system be just as efficient?

Any ideas for cooling down the rooms, especially the bedrooms and kitchen/dining area that will both have vaulted ceilings so potentially very hot rooms during the summer.

Where is your water source ..??

These work well on boats as there is a permanent water source available. Without a continual changing water supply you will not have the cooling available. 

Do you mean an evaporator cooler or proper aircon?

I do remember seeing a heat pump aircon unit in a conservatory that worked by taking a tank full of cold mains water in, dumping the heat removed from the room into that until it reached a certain temperature, then dumping that now warm water down the drain to be replaced by another tankful of cold mains water.

But I thought those were no longer allowed?

This: 

https://www.coolyoudirect.co.uk/solutions/water-cooled-air-conditioning-light-commercial/

In my opinion is these are more antisocial than the external A/C  unit they avoid, given the scarcity of water reserves in the exact places where these things will be marketed most, but - that's just my opinion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47620228

So are these actually still legal to install?

the one I referred to above was a friend installing it in his conservatory and he was a bit sheepish about it. He said he had been given it because they were "outlawed" and he was fitting it to his conservatory on the quiet hoping nobody would notice.

There are a lot of companies selling and installing them. They are popular in London where space is limited and listed buildings or conservation areas restrict any outdoor units. 
I just wasn’t sure if they are any good or not as aI don’t know anyone who has had one before. 

I’m just trying to find a logical way to cool down the rooms in the summer because they are loft rooms with vaulted ceilings. This seemed a sensible solution.

Yes they definitely work.  They take in cold mains water use that to dump the removed heat and when it gets too hot they run that down the drain and take in a new lot of cold water.

I would use one here if I needed to as we are not metered and there is no shortage of water.  The issue becomes whether it is morally correct to "waste" water like this and if you are metered how much does that cost.

• 10 months later...