Astroturf

I'm putting some astroturf down and its got a natural border on two sides but I will need to put something in on the other two sides (each 4.2m long) to act as a retainer and give me something to work up to, i'd rather not be concreting anything in if it can be helped.

Any suggestions?

We’ve just laid a proper astro playing surface (2 hockey playing kids). Sleepers worked well around the edge. I’ve also seen brick edging look good (with the astro screwed onto battens). Or a piece of treated timber if you don’t want the height of a sleeper.  If you are sand dressing it the weight of the sand will help keep it in place . We were advised to screw to battens though we ended up with the astro covered gravel boards holding it down.

before and after shots below.  we’ve gone for a high edge but the theory is the same I guess.

38504B40-305F-47CD-A940-63280E0AE4C9.jpeg

A8DC8DF0-8F3B-4D4C-A52A-B68A4CFC0F23.jpeg

I used fence runners bedded on some concrete as these are treated. These where set at the height I needed and then acted as a screed rail to leave the surface dead flat. Rolled it out and let it sit a day or 2 so it could shrink/expand as needed. Then used a lot of Stanley blades and cut it and used green decking screws to attach it to the runners. 

• Like 1

On 06/04/2021 at 13:50, Weebles said:

We’ve just laid a proper astro playing surface (2 hockey playing kids). Sleepers worked well around the edge. I’ve also seen brick edging look good (with the astro screwed onto battens). Or a piece of treated timber if you don’t want the height of a sleeper.  If you are sand dressing it the weight of the sand will help keep it in place . We were advised to screw to battens though we ended up with the astro covered gravel boards holding it down.

before and after shots below.  we’ve gone for a high edge but the theory is the same I guess.

38504B40-305F-47CD-A940-63280E0AE4C9.jpeg

A8DC8DF0-8F3B-4D4C-A52A-B68A4CFC0F23.jpeg

I'm thinking the sleeper on edge may be the best option, would I need to concrete it down or is there another fixing method?