What if wind causes ventilator to suck air?

sniederb

In one of our bathrooms is a Vent-Axia ventilator, I believe a Silhouette 100T Extractor Fan. When there's a good wind (and there often is), the vent will start spinning on its own, and cause a draft which sucks the warm air out of the bathroom outwards, and cold air from wherever the insulation is poor. 

Has anyone encountered this issue and solved it? I'm thinking about crafting a cover for the fan, but maybe there's a better approach? 

Thanks for your help 

Simon

IMG_20201122_173527.jpg

I’ve fitted an iCon fan fairly recently. I’d recommend it. ?

One of these: Airflow iCON ECO 15 240V 100mm Extractor Fan Outlet & TM iCON Plug-in Timer Module for 240V Fan https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08JMBP9FM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_BRGSB95KN8QBAX1AA1SE?psc=1

Of course, this is round and your existing extractor is square, so some decorating will be required. 

Edited by Gav_P

11 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Change the fan to something that has proper backdraught prevention.  I quite like the Icon ones but there are lots about.  Beware of the external flap vents that make a horrible rattle when it is windy.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a complete noob, but doesn't backdraught prevention stop the air flow in the opposite direction? In my case, the vent sucks air out of the bathroom (stating the obvious), and the wind makes the vent turn and also suck air out of the bathroom. Thus the air flow is in the same direction both times.

(The wind doesn't blow in through the vent. I assume the wind passing the outlet creates a slight vacuum and thus "pulls" the air out)