Joist nails or screws?

fiaraziqbal

I really hate asking this.  In every aspect of my life joist = nails for every conceivable reason.  However, i am time restricted and was really looking at getting hold of the DeWalt DCN694P2 positiv placement toy( all power tools still hold that excitement for me) every one is out of stock and i a left with a dillema, wait or...... screws, now not your every day found atthe bottom of my box screw but something like https://www.tcfixings.co.uk/product/simpson-tx20-csa-connector-screws-50mm-x-40mm/17500?gclid=CjwKCAjw6qqDBhB-EiwACBs6xwa2SF90DhDM2TIJryAP2KBUXeJfDaWTM8FCfaywxZxP-ZfdeOndGhoCkqYQAvD_BwE

Opinions? product reviews? I actually hate the thought of screws... ahhhhhh

Thanks in advance

Never used the screws before but assuming the fit OK through the holes in the hangers they look good.  Also, if you mis-nail a hanger they are tricky to move and the screws could help.  I am a bit crap with a hammer and the twist nails just seem designed so I keep smacking my fingers.  The screws would also be good for the concealed type hangers.

Do you need the 4mm ones for a standard hanger?  5mm seems quite fat.

Edited by Mr Punter

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Thanks faz however they are not positive placement guns morover when a lot of sites they have them in stock when i call they are shipping from dewalt and dont actually hold stock

10 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Never used the screws before but assuming the fit OK through the holes in the hangers they look good.  Also, if you mis-nail a hanger they are tricky to move and the screws could help.  I am a bit crap with a hammer and the twist nails just seem designed so I keep smacking my fingers.  The screws would also be good for the concealed type hangers.

Do you need the 4mm ones for a standard hanger?  5mm seems quite fat.

i worry about shearng forces on a screw but really havnt decided on which one quite yet

18 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Depends how many you need to put in, I hired a positive placement nailer for a week, about £100 all in but I had a few hundred joist hangers plus triple grips for the roof in total over 2000 nails, so it was a no brainier 

I looked at hiring the paslode, i like purchasing tools especially when i have three builds of one sort or another planned. BUt i may go down the route as wife isnt too impressed with me spending money on tools!

23 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

For joist hangers NEVER EVER USE SCREWS!  The heads sheer off, need to use heavy duty twist nails 

buy a compressed air nailer cheapo ones are ok , never look back 

I have a hikoki and love it, just not so keen on missing the hole so wanted a positive placement, i do know what you mean in terms of screws but  apparently that link i shared is for screws you can use in structural appliactions

On 05/04/2021 at 20:27, tonyshouse said:

I still would never use screws, too easy to make a mistake 

I was windy about using screws and spoke to the technical guy at Simpson StrogTie who put me at ease. To paraphrase (so don't quote me on it) you should be able to use the CSA 4.0 x 30mm anywhere you'd normally use a 3.75x30 twist nail. He said they are hoping to do a paper on it.

I needed to add some frame anchors to tiny truss infill that had already had tiles fitted to so didn't fancy hammering. Worked a charm. Don't use an impact driver and set your combi or screwdriver to low torque so as not to strip the thread when tightening. It even looks really nice when done, semi architectural. I wouldn't mind having brackets covered in these on show but I would be less keen on having brackets covered in twist nails no show.

I'd be more nervous using them on a big girder truss, but I think that's just me being old fashioned. Screws are the future I think, as long as it's the right screw! A wood screw would be a shocker.

image.png.686209ddb02e20529bafb81fa9b86626.pngimage.png.bb56d31a133d9661009080afcd773aa7.png 

2 hours ago, PeterTweeter said:

Hi - don't forget Simpson would love to sell you their screws - all those holes to be filled!
Have you considered a palm nailer for driving twist nails?

Yes, the Simpson CSA screws aren't cheap but they are a nice product.

Milwaukee do a nice looking battery palm nailer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Milwaukee-C12PN-0-Compact-without-Batteries/dp/B008ETLI0A

Personally, I can't justify the cost.

Looks like you can get a pneumatic one for around £30-£40 though if you have a compressor. I am tempted by this one: https://www.woodfordtools.co.uk/Bostitch-PN50-E-Pneumatic-Compact-Palm-Nailer/P19887/

Edited by MortarThePoint

When I get going, I will be stick building with air power - to my mind it's the only way to go - more reliable &cheaper. I shall be beefing up my nailing effort with a Makita 924 & said palm nailer.

Normally, I would look to the US to get this kind of kit (Hitachi/Hikoki & Milwaukee) but the Makit comes close & would be UK sourced.

We have some TF buidings going up just a short walk from us. These are for social housing by a developer. You can see the poor quality & shoddy workmanship here just like in the US.

That said, the TF house my wife & I built in the mid 70's is still standing!!

• Like 1