Basement Slab Reinforcement

Internet Know How

7 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

This is in Liverpool, north west. With regards to the works, at the moment I have broken it up for people to quote as follows:

1.) excavation to required depth ready to start slab

2) installation of slab and walls (does not include tanking, as already covered by others)

·       Base Slab: 96m3 

·       Main Walls: 116m3 

·       Pool Walls: 9.5m3

·       TOTAL: 221.5m3 

Thanks

Wouldn't be familiar with that area but one of my new Qs's is only after coming back from 6 or 7 years in that general area so I'll give him a shout for an idea on local rates.

Recently had 10t of mainly H16 bar fixed for a slab with 60 cube of concrete. Was day rate and ends up at 6k for labour only. Slab was about 200m real fiddly design. This included 2 rows of starters and the joy of getting the steel down 4m of steps. In Dorset BTW

Edited by Adam2
Added location
  • Like 1

On 04/04/2021 at 12:37, Trw144 said:

what is your floor build up above the void? Beam and block/concrete panels? We are also looking at a 200m2 plus basement with pool so interested to see what you are doing.

Hey, we are going to use just block and beam above the basement floor void. We considered concrete slab but the block and beam is just a bit easier to work with. 

• Thanks 1

On 04/04/2021 at 13:01, PeterW said:

Ok so you’ve just added another point load without giving any context ..!!

11x5m pool, 1m deep and we now have another 60+ tonnes of concrete and water not evenly spread on to a concrete stress member. And a floor suspended from the wall around the edges too..?? That changes the dynamic of the edge of the slab again. 

So ... I think your SEng is working from a set of plans, and we are working from a set of guesses ..!! Where does the car lift and the 10,000 litre water tank fit in all this so we can have all the picture...??

I agree ..! At this point I wouldn’t be cutting corners on what will be a £1.5m build. 

The basement slab will also act as the pool base, but yeah I agree on there being another point load. We do then have the internal block work 1m high to support the block and beam floor for the basement. The ground and upper floors are supported off the basement walls. I dropped in an image of the basement above, and for the 10x3.5m pool it works out at about 42,000 litres,/ 40 tonne. I wish we did have the £1.5 million to build this and then the car lift may have been included. I have had some really silly quotes for various parts of the build. The pool quotes were rather wild. I wont be cutting any corners on this one, if anything, ill be checking the various trades do not, as I have had people on other jobs try it.

21 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

The basement slab will also act as the pool base, but yeah I agree on there being another point load. We do then have the internal block work 1m high to support the block and beam floor for the basement. The ground and upper floors are supported off the basement walls. I dropped in an image of the basement above, and for the 10x3.5m pool it works out at about 42,000 litres,/ 40 tonne. I wish we did have the £1.5 million to build this and then the car lift may have been included. I have had some really silly quotes for various parts of the build. The pool quotes were rather wild. I wont be cutting any corners on this one, if anything, ill be checking the various trades do not, as I have had people on other jobs try it.

I'm convinced that some people assume you have tonnes of money because of what or where you are building and just quote silly numbers as they think you'll pay it regardless. We're building on one of the most desirable streets in the most desirable town in northern Ireland... There are more Porsches than Peugeots. We are far more likely to have a Peugeot than a Porsche ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conor said:

I'm convinced that some people assume you have tonnes of money because of what or where you are building and just quote silly numbers as they think you'll pay it regardless. We're building on one of the most desirable streets in the most desirable town in northern Ireland... There are more Porsches than Peugeots. We are far more likely to have a Peugeot than a Porsche ?

Haha yeah 100% agree and same applies here! I have started building this into the convo how much people try and throw a load on simply because of where a property is. One thing I do find is that people always want to know where a property is before the quote, even thought they cover our area. The swimming pool one was a prime example of this. I sent them the pool area alone where they would be working rather than the entire area to avoid them mistakenly thinking I had a money tree out the back! I gave the start of the postcode, and they asked for the exact address :)

45 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

I wish we did have the £1.5 million to build this and then the car lift may have been included.

650 sqm @£2000/m you will be at £1.3m.. 

That basement is a very complex shape - could do some value engineering on it and get the price down as there are lots of detail corners etc that will add to cost and complexity. 

8 minutes ago, PeterW said:

650 sqm @£2000/m you will be at £1.3m.. 

That basement is a very complex shape - could do some value engineering on it and get the price down as there are lots of detail corners etc that will add to cost and complexity. 

If I give this to 1 main contractor I expect quotes at £2000-£2500/sqm to build so you are very much on point there! By self managing, my dad being a builder too, we should be able to bring it down a bit. The basement does take a chunk of the budget like! some unknowns in there too!

Edited by Internet Know How

36 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

If I give this to 1 main contractor I expect quotes at £2000-£2500/sqm to build so you are very much on point there! By self managing, my dad being a builder too, we should be able to bring it down a bit. The basement does take a chunk of the budget like! some unknowns in there too!

The plus side to a basement is no expensive external claddings/finishes, and savings on windows (that's what I'm telling myself anyway!)

1 minute ago, Trw144 said:

The plus side to a basement is no expensive external claddings/finishes, and savings on windows (that's what I'm telling myself anyway!)

Also, if you would have had to pile the foundation, like I would have if there was no basement, you might be able to justify some of that spend offset against the cost of the basement (thats what I'm telling myself anyway!) ;)

1 minute ago, Internet Know How said:

lso, if you would have had to pile the foundation, like I would have if there was no basement, you might be able to justify some of that spend offset against the cost of the basement (thats what I'm telling myself anyway!) ;)

definitely, the swimming pool is saving you  money ?

I'm also thinking there are economies of scale in a 600m2 build that reduce the £/m2 cost.

Edited by Trw144
  • Like 1