Is this floor buildup common/ok? Concerns

R1plusR2

Hi all

I have a floor buildup plan that my afchitect has specced out for us. I have attached a screenshot of the floor buildup. I have been prepping the floor for concrete the last two days and i just cant let it go that it seems off.

To me it seems an odd design but maybe its just "different". 

The buildup is 

Screed

75mm pir but we have decided on 100.

1200g dpm

100mm **concrete base* 

Mot1 Sand/hardcore sub base

If you noticed the buildup wording is different to the detail drawing, it clearly shows dpm on top of concrete.

I have flowed screed planned for the finish rather than sand/cement.

He also advised a dpm to protect the celotex but wasnt 'required'

My concerns, 

Firstly is the dpm in the right place as most seem to be under the concrete?

Second, if we dump concrete straight over the hardcore wont it dry out too fast due to the ground wicking the water out the mix too fast usually the dpm would retain the water

I do have some other questions but id like to clear this up first to put my mind to rest

Screenshot_20210403-210659_Drive_copy_1734x3565.jpg

Edited by R1plusR2
Buildup typo

Doesn’t really matter. As long as it ties together then it’s fine. If you’re using a flow screed though, add another slip membrane above the insulation to stop the screed flowing down between the insulation sheets. 

• Thanks 1

Right so its an accepted method. He did advise the secondary membrane to seperate the screed from the insulation. Thats put my mind to rest then.

What about slapping the concrete onto the mot1, should i stick some dpm down just to stop the mix drying out too quick? 

Not necessarily. Depends if you are an area where radon protection is required which I’m sure your architect has checked out.

You may wish to check out the Accredited Construction Details. Looking at the detail - it looks fine. As other posters have pointed out the DPM can either go above or below the slab (below if there is a risk of the hardcore being contaminated) as long as the DPM is overlapped and continuous with all wall DPCs.

Having said that I would normally expect to see a DPM above the slab/below the floor insulation overlapped and continuous with all wall DPCs, perimeter insulation and a VCL above the floor insulation.

PS - Have faith in your architect. If in doubt ask him/her and raise your concerns. You are after all the client and paying fees.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply ETC.

I did ask to be fair. Its mostly because i have found other things in the plans were incorrect previously, they were minor things and got corrected. But naturally i tend to look everything up and sometimes thats not a good thing but ey ho, i have ocd and cant help it!

Thanks all

1 hour ago, tonyshouse said:

I always built insulated floors with the membrane on top of the insulation, warm side, acts as a combined dpm/vb then - never had a problem except with occasional building inspector 

Just make sure the DPM and all DPCs are continuous. Difficult to do if the (internal wall) DPC is at slab level.

• Thanks 1

Over here, the DPM normally goes on top of the concrete slab and under the insualtion. 100mm PIR isn't very much, and I'm worried that your architect only specified 75mm. What's their insualtion / cold bridging / airtightness strategy for the rest of the build??? What's your predicted SAP?

75mm is the minimum requirment. we upped to 100mm due tomaking up some height id made sense to use insulation.

On the extension side the dpm can and will be taped into the dpm, but we will have an issue on the old side as ETC pointed out due to inner dpc on the old side of the house being lower and slate. We was advised to just bring it up thr wall on this side.

I dont know much about sap cslcs other than we didnt need them due to the glazing being kept to a standard, or at least thats how it was explained to me. I only know this because i innitially wanted a bigger skylight

Edited by R1plusR2