Utilities connection experiences

Starting to look for utility connection providers. 

Wiltshire new build.  Site is back garden of our house. Drawing shows public highway at left. New build at right

Anyone had good experiences with any firm that connects one or more utilities? Bad experiences? What advice would you give?

Hoping to dig one trench for all utilites, and use it for foul drainage as well.

One multi-utility firm said they do only multi-house developments, but that it would be cheaper for a single dwelling build to go to individual services.

block plan annotated drainage 210402 - Copy.jpg

Edited by WWilts

The final utility connection is normally done by the monopoly company for water, gas, electric and phone.  You can do the sewer yourself / your contractor.  Electric you run duct from the road to the inlet point, water run MDPE pipe from the boundary to your stopcock.  Gas like you to leave them an open trench.  They seem to really like turning up when the scaffold is down and everything else is done, then getting you to dig out a trench.

• Like 1

I’ve used GEC for multiple Conections Like many they are a middle man company But will do you a plan and a quote for Gas Electric and Water 

Very unlikely to coordinate all three together 

I ran my water and two ductings in the same trench and back filled They seamed ok with that 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2021 at 15:50, WWilts said:

Anyone had good experiences with any firm that connects one or more utilities? Bad experiences? What advice would you give?

Electricity,  fine.

Water.... they tried to get away with having only one internal supply side stop cock. And had the valve I bought not failed as soon as I fitted it,   they would have succeeded.  I rang the United Utilities Inspection Team ; on site, eyes rolling,  and using some choice Lancastrian words, the inspector booked the job online there and then.

48 hours later, job done.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack, but looks like I'll need 50mm Water pipe due to being over 100m from connection point. What's this stuff like to work with? I imagine the bend radius is huge?!

Ideally I want to run 2 pipes, 1x25mm to renew the pipe for the old property and 1x50mm for the new one before we reinstate the shared drive. Can these both go in the same run of ducting?

11 minutes ago, markc said:

50mm water is no problem, yes the bend radii are larger but you will be surprised what it will go around. I dont know of any reason they cant be in the same duct

Unfortunately I have to lay the first 10metres of the drive before we can have the water connected. Do you think the water authority will prefer it run horizontally into a shuttered box or curved up out of the ground? Or better still, can I obtain and fit the chamber they'd use and run the pipe into it to enable me to finish the surface?

1 hour ago, Mulberry View said:

Unfortunately I have to lay the first 10metres of the drive before we can have the water connected. Do you think the water authority will prefer it run horizontally into a shuttered box or curved up out of the ground? Or better still, can I obtain and fit the chamber they'd use and run the pipe into it to enable me to finish the surface?

Im presuming they will be connecting into a main. If the main is within your boundary then you can excavate right upto it and just leave a metre or so spare curling up.

If the main is in the street or road then you should stop your trench at your boundary and leave sufficient curling up to easily reach the main with some spare.