Supporting long block paving

Pocster

Bought these some time ago but can’t use them as intended .

CC6DC019-EAA4-4B1C-BF01-4F57A350E7CE.thumb.jpeg.b03343522586ee72e79e884bb15de7c5.jpeg

So ! New plan !

Going to use them in a different location just for walking on .

Problem is the concrete they sit on isn’t level ( at the time was designed to have a fall ) . Really would want to use the plastic stilt legs - but they can’t be used on a narrow tile . My current plan was the stilts but with some kind of “ board” ontop . Then the long blocks are just sat on that ( no adhesive , no sand ) . Water can then drain through to my sump . But what board can I use outside ? . Really a nice 600 x 600 size would be good as it means I can position the stilts at each corner and centre ; also can adjust to suit the fall . First thought was simply concrete slabs but they are heavy and not as cheap as I hoped .

Diagram to explain the plan !!

1404E619-4ECA-4FB0-9803-781BB8AA2A9A.thumb.jpeg.ab8536b0128834dc1512520b89289773.jpeg

Those blocks are designed to go on a solid bed like sand, mortar or concrete.

If you want to use the stilts you can use decking or pavers.  I have them with non-slip porcelain slabs on a roof terrace.

Maybe just store the blocks somewhere next to the walk-on glass...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Those blocks are designed to go on a solid bed like sand, mortar or concrete.

If you want to use the stilts you can use decking or pavers.  I have them with non-slip porcelain slabs on a roof terrace.

Maybe just store the blocks somewhere next to the walk-on glass...

No ! They will be used in the method SWMBO has decided . Also storing them with walk on glazing is taking up quite a bit of space ....

• Haha 1

How would you stop them moving about when you walk on them. 

Either bed them on sharp sand which will help drainage 

Or

Put them on eBay or Facebook marketplace. Use the money to buy some composite decking.

36 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Oh god just stop. 

Put them on Facebook and get the right thing, by the time you’ve faffed about ( I changed my original wording to save @PeterW having to ) you will have cost yourself more than you saved. 

Just dont FFS. 

Wise words, softly spoken........

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, pocster said:

But what board can I use outside

A “For Sale” board ... sell them, buy the right thing and move on... 

I first thought they were Heras fence blocks, they will not do what you want so get rid and buy the right thing.

You could even offer someone some free walk on glazing if they buy the lot ... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

I first thought they were Heras fence blocks, they will not do what you want so get rid and buy the right thing.

nonsense ! Of course they can be used in this way ! . I shall investigate further !! 

Useless (expletive deleted)ers ! . Trying to use what I’ve got ! 
worst case scenario I could shutter the area compress chippings then cover in sand and bed . 
Friday kill joy (expletive deleted)ers you lot ! . Some experimentation required ! 

54 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is there an echo in here. 

22 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

You can certainly use them with a porous bedding under them but not on those plastic things.

???????? 

(expletive deleted) off ! My plan wasn’t on the plastic stilts - as they wont fit . So something else to support them . Miserable (expletive deleted) (expletive deleted) wits 

7 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Pocker, what height do you need at the highest end?, how wide the area? ?

Not on site so guessing ...

Blocks are about 80mm . At ‘deapest’ end I would say around 180mm - so 100mm to play with . What are you thinking ??

Area is approx 7m x 2.5m 

Edited by pocster

12 hours ago, pocster said:

What are you thinking ??

If only 100mm, you will need a slight fall so 75mm, cast a concrete “ring beam”  to the level you want and fill with stone/dust to create a flat (ish) area !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

If only 100mm, you will need a slight fall so 75mm, cast a concrete “ring beam”  to the level you want and fill with stone/dust to create a flat (ish) area !

Yeah I did think about something like that .  3 sides are already ‘retained ‘ ( concrete wall ) . So it is possible. I liked the stilts approach because it allowed drainage and also “ seemed “ like less work . I have stilts and blocks on site - so cost would be zero ( ish ) . Going to site today will take another look ?

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

because it allowed drainage

Fair comment but how do you drain “your pit”?? (Ah, presuming this is where you are talking about).?

Edited by joe90

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Fair comment but how do you drain “your pit”??

There’s 2 sumps lower than the concrete so everything runs into there . I want the paving to be level with the doorway . Could put a slot drain in . But it’s all more work ! ?

• Sad 1