Garden Room Within 1m of Boundary Advice

Brenty1892

Hi All,

First post of potentially many as I start making the kids a garden room!

I have read and re read the technical guidance on the Gov.uk website regarding Permitted Development Rights but I am still uncertain regarding one thing which I'm hoping someone could help with please.

Room will be within 0.5m on side and rear neighbour fences (3rd side is road).  I have kept the room under the 2.5m height rule and the area will be less then 30m2 so I'm fine there.  Problem is I'm sure I have read somewhere that if the building is this close it need to be made from fire resistant materials but I find no mention of this in the documents on gov.uk

Does anyone have any experiences that may help me

Thanks

David

If it is more than 15sq m then building regs may apply, not just a planning concern. Think this is current for England

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings/2

I am working on the basis. However I have only just realised that I have 13sq m floor area the roof is significantly bigger. Says nothing in the regs about roof area ??

@DevilDamoJust on this we are adding a pitched roof to a 26sqm existing flat roof garage within 1m of boundary we have planning permission. New section of gables will be made of masonry detached building with tiled roof. Does this need building control, they will take your money for any application round here even if it’s genuinely not needed so need something legit to reference if it comes up. Thanks very much if you know where this is referenced without grey areas!

Edited by rh2205