Materials Price check

Barryscotland

Looking for a price check to see if we’re getting a decent deal at the merchants.

150mm kingspan £50.79 2.4x1.2

a252 mesh £29.43  2.4x1.2

a142 mesh £14.78. 2.4x1.2

4” 7n blocks £0.64p if take a complete load

16” x 9” cupa 3s £0.98p 

c28/35 £86 a cube

anybody bought any of the above recently to compare? I’m in Perthshire Scotland 

Edited by Barryscotland
Added info

Concrete is cheap 

blocks good on full load

dont buy reinforcement in those small sheets, more cost effective in larger sheets

dont buy 150mm kingspan, use two sheets of 75mm, 150mm is a pain in the arse to cut and fit with 75mm you can stagger the joins and do a better job. 75mm sheets are about £22. 

Concrete isn’t cheap - it’s the wrong spec ... you need RC25 or RC35 if you’re using it with reinforcing. Don’t be told C25 is ok

Blocks are very cheap - 7N can be heavy so I hope you are friends with your brickies

Safery Size mesh sheets are around £9 for A142 and £13 for A252 so those prices are very high. 

34 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Concrete isn’t cheap - it’s the wrong spec ... you need RC25 or RC35 if you’re using it with reinforcing. Don’t be told C25 is ok

Blocks are very cheap - 7N can be heavy so I hope you are friends with your brickies

Safery Size mesh sheets are around £9 for A142 and £13 for A252 so those prices are very high. 

C28/35 is what the structural engineer has put in the found strip and floor slab, building warrant signed it of. What’s the difference with the Rc? Is it just a stronger mix or is it additives?   7n’s are what structural engineer has specified up to wall plate and the outer skin of the timber frame, would we get away with lighter for the outer skin an is it something building control would check?

1 hour ago, Barryscotland said:

What’s the difference with the Rc? Is it just a stronger mix or is it additives?   7n’s are what structural engineer has specified up to wall plate

RC has controlled Cement ratios and also has a specification suitable for use with reinforcing. C28/35 is a generic foundation grade so may not be suitable for use with reinforcing as it does not have a standardised mix ratio or corrosion retarders.  Engineer should know this. 

7Ns for an outer skin being rendered with no load (as it’s TFrame..?) unless you’re building 6 storeys or higher are overkill. 3.6N will be fine. I assume by 7N to wall plate you mean under the frame so sole plate ..?

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

RC has controlled Cement ratios and also has a specification suitable for use with reinforcing. C28/35 is a generic foundation grade so may not be suitable for use with reinforcing as it does not have a standardised mix ratio or corrosion retarders.  Engineer should know this

I have a Kore foundation with design from tanners. Mine doesn't say RCxx Mine just says C28/C30. No mention of that. 

It's the first time I have ever heard that. So does that mean it's wrong? 

6 hours ago, PeterW said:

RC has controlled Cement ratios and also has a specification suitable for use with reinforcing. C28/35 is a generic foundation grade so may not be suitable for use with reinforcing as it does not have a standardised mix ratio or corrosion retarders.  Engineer should know this. 

Very few suppliers use the RC prefix especially when quoting if indeed at all, but your correct it will be standard foundation mix but that does not mean it is not compatible with reinforcement. I would imagine at 35n strenght it would be ok for most purposes BUT when getting concrete you should specify it's use and if you have a spec send them that or if you have a spec the most important part to take from it is exposure class and minimum cement and water content they pretty much drive everything in the mixes design 

8 hours ago, PeterW said:

7Ns for an outer skin being rendered with no load (as it’s TFrame..?) unless you’re building 6 storeys or higher are overkill. 3.6N will be fine. I assume by 7N to wall plate you mean under the frame so sole plate ..?

Yes, SE is showing 3 courses of double 7n block, outer 4” inner 6” with the cavity to be in filled with concrete thats then the wall plate level. then 7n 4” for the outer skin which is rendered. I’d be able to use the 3.6n for the outer skin instead with no problems? Would building control have a problem with that if they checked as it’s showing 7n on the drawings?