Wireless Smoke Alarms

Joanna Susskind

Hi all,

Our house has a very high apex (8m with a 50 degree roof pitch). Our architect has specced the alarms to be right up at the top. The electrician says they should be lower down as the smoke doesn't always go right up in to the apex, it curves around.

So I'm wondering, can we bring these down without updating the drawings? And he's also asking if we can install wireless alarms - is this all allowed by BC?

Thanks,

Joanna

On new build they want main interlinked with battery backup.  You can have the interlink wireless if you need to but they still need mains power.  Follow the alarm manufacturers instructions re: positioning, but they are correct not to site them in the apex.

As per Mr Punter above on the mains power with battery backup and they need to be interlinked so if one alarm goes off they all go off.

If it's a new build and you're bringing power to them you may as well interlink them with a cable rather than wireless as the alarms will work out cheaper. I know it rarely happens but you're supposed to replace smoke alarms every 10 years so the additional cost for the wireless alarms will be multiplied every 10 years. The wireless alarms are good for retrofit projects where it can be difficult to connect them with a cable.

The alarms have to be within 600mm of the apex. 

Siting-Smoke-Detector-diagrams-04.jpg

3 hours ago, Dudda said:

I know it rarely happens but you're supposed to replace smoke alarms every 10 years

I understand that with the Google Nest alarms, they brick at 10 years from manufacture, so no chance of squeezing another few years, just more crap to landfill.

6 hours ago, Joanna Susskind said:

And he's also asking if we can install wireless alarms

I fitted these after a bit of looking around. They are mains powered and use wireless communication, not your wi-fi. Got them from "your IT delivered".

Cavius 8080138 Main powered 230V smoke 8080138 5 £13.69 GBP
  • Like 1

On 01/04/2021 at 12:21, Dudda said:

As per Mr Punter above on the mains power with battery backup and they need to be interlinked so if one alarm goes off they all go off.

If it's a new build and you're bringing power to them you may as well interlink them with a cable rather than wireless as the alarms will work out cheaper. I know it rarely happens but you're supposed to replace smoke alarms every 10 years so the additional cost for the wireless alarms will be multiplied every 10 years. The wireless alarms are good for retrofit projects where it can be difficult to connect them with a cable.

The alarms have to be within 600mm of the apex. 

Siting-Smoke-Detector-diagrams-04.jpg

The only problem is that our Apex is 8m high in a vaulted open plan space and so the smoke alarms are way too far from the kitchen... Our BC officer has now said that as long as we get it certified by the electrician, it's all ok?!

5 hours ago, Joanna Susskind said:

The only problem is that our Apex is 8m high in a vaulted open plan space and so the smoke alarms are way too far from the kitchen... Our BC officer has now said that as long as we get it certified by the electrician, it's all ok?!

We also have vaulted ceilings. For the kitchen we have a heat rather than smoke alarm. Bedrooms, living areas have smoke detectors and the garage/workshop has a heat alarm. We opted for LD1 just because it was a new build and we wanted to do thw best job we could.

https://www.fireangel.co.uk/your-guide-for-smoke-alarm-positioning-to-meet-building-regulations/

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/04/2021 at 19:54, Simon R said:

We also have vaulted ceilings. For the kitchen we have a heat rather than smoke alarm. Bedrooms, living areas have smoke detectors and the garage/workshop has a heat alarm. We opted for LD1 just because it was a new build and we wanted to do thw best job we could.

https://www.fireangel.co.uk/your-guide-for-smoke-alarm-positioning-to-meet-building-regulations/

Thanks Simon. Same for us with the heat censor in the kitchen... Can you tell me how high you placed the smoke alarm in the vaulted space? (Our vaulted space is kitchen/living room all in one). Cheers :)

3 hours ago, Joanna Susskind said:

Can you tell me how high you placed the smoke alarm in the vaulted space?

Well, the sensor in the vaulted ceiling over the kitchen is a heat alarm and it's within 600mm of the apex.  We do have a smoke alarm in another room with a vaulted ceiling, again it's within 600mm of the apex. Our kitchen/living room is one area with a staircase and landing joining the two areas. The flat ceiling over the living room has a separate smoke alarm.