Self Build with VAT questions

rgdrumming

Hey everyone - pleased to be involved in this fantastic forum. We are building a house in Somerset and are tantalisingly close to being able to lay carpets but still need to finish bits like the kitchen and bathrooms off etc. 

My question is regarding VAT (the VAT office phone line as others have reported is not working). [Moderator: The VAT question has been moved here]

On a side note - can anyone recommend an insurance company who will insure the property with us living in it before it is building control completed but has gas and electric signed off?

I really appreciate any replies that can help us. As ever, the government don’t make it easy! 

Edited by jack
VAT question moved to relevant forum

We moved into ours in December 

and where signed off in March Then reclaimed our  vat in May within the The  three months timeline 

Insurers where fine with this as long as we had electrical gas water certification 

1 hour ago, nod said:

We moved into ours in December 

and where signed off in March Then reclaimed our  vat in May within the The  three months timeline 

Insurers where fine with this as long as we had electrical gas water certification 

Hi Nod - thank you for getting back to me

Who did you manage to insure with? It would be fantastic if we could get insured as thats the only thing that is holding us back really. 

2 hours ago, rgdrumming said:

I really appreciate any replies that can help us. As ever, the government don’t make it easy! 

Welcome to BuildHub!

You'll get the best response if you post specific queries in the relevant sub-forums, as not everyone monitors the Introduce Yourself section. 

Have you checked out the VAT section? There's a particularly useful (to your circumstances) sub-forum in there that only becomes visible when you have, I think, 10 posts. Is that right @newhome?

If you want to re-post your questions about VAT and insurance in the relevant subforums, I can edit your original post to direct people to those new posts. I'll monitor this thread, or feel free to drop me a direct message.

2 minutes ago, rgdrumming said:

Hi Nod - thank you for getting back to me

Who did you manage to insure with? It would be fantastic if we could get insured as thats the only thing that is holding us back really. 

I can check later 

But I think it was direct line 

They really weren’t bothered about sign off 

4 minutes ago, nod said:

I can check later 

But I think it was direct line 

They really weren’t bothered about sign off 

Thank you Nod. You have already given far better information than the Brick wall which is the VAT reclaim office. I think they are still only taking reclaim notifications by carrier Pidgeon! 

8 minutes ago, jack said:

Welcome to BuildHub!

You'll get the best response if you post specific queries in the relevant sub-forums, as not everyone monitors the Introduce Yourself section. 

Have you checked out the VAT section? There's a particularly useful (to your circumstances) sub-forum in there that only becomes visible when you have, I think, 10 posts. Is that right @newhome?

If you want to re-post your questions about VAT and insurance in the relevant subforums, I can edit your original post to direct people to those new posts. I'll monitor this thread, or feel free to drop me a direct message.

Thank you Jack

I have just put a post in the VAT section. If you could do your magic then that would be fantastic!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jack said:

Yes it requires 10 posts. The OP is halfway there ?

For info the main VAT reclaim post is here when you hit 10 posts. There are other posts in that sub forum too that you may find useful. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rgdrumming said:

Thank you Nod. You have already given far better information than the Brick wall which is the VAT reclaim office. I think they are still only taking reclaim notifications by carrier Pidgeon! 

You're welcome