PCC requirements from architect

We are choosing to protect our property via a PCC that our architect can offer. Is my understanding correct in that the architects insurance policy is the cover that will be offered for the house. If so is there any specific questions I should be asking him in order to satisfy myself of the adequate cover? 

Thanks in advance 

Thanks fornthe swift reply. I understand the pros and cons of a PCC vs warrenty but was particularly looking for anything I may need or should request to see from the architect to be sure he has the right level of indemnity .

1 hour ago, RichyC said:

Thanks fornthe swift reply. I understand the pros and cons of a PCC vs warrenty but was particularly looking for anything I may need or should request to see from the architect to be sure he has the right level of indemnity .

Much depends on what you are after.

Do you just want some paperwork to get you over the line for lending. Or do you want someone (Architect say) that will keep a real eye on the build quality (rather than the absolute basic race to the bottom, minimal visits etc, all caveated), help you out a bit if you have an arguement over the builders bill or nip to site if the builder gets stuck and needs some reassurance? Yes, builders are human too, sometimes they just need a hand / maybe talk about something they have not done before with the designer. Remember that builders need to learn / gain experience as they progress in life, just like the rest of us.

You can for example discuss with your Architect what it may cost to keep a "watching brief" over the job. This is a half way house between full contract administration and site supervision (with the associated cost) and you just being left to get on with it on your own. This can work but needs to be set up the right way. Essentially for you if all goes ok on site you can save a bit, if not then you have backup. However, to make this work requires a bespoke agreement. It can pay dividends but you need to do a bit of work and be able to take a holistic view.

I would look at this in the round. Set this up right and you will save much more than the differance between the warranty and PCC cost. Also, set it up right and you probably won't need to make a claim, thus the level of PI cover is much muted and you can enjoy your house without getting into a barny. If you have a complex house in terms of engineering then also look at what cover the SE has. An SE may carry some £1.0 - 2.0m PI cover even for domestic work.

4 hours ago, RichyC said:

What sort of cover do you want? I decided a certificate wasn't worth having and went with a warranty. I figured its very unlikely we would have a problem that the Architect could be liable for.

Some 6 years after we finished we discovered the tiles on one side of our garage roof were spalling badly. Architects certificate would not have covered it.