Anyone know what type of block these may be?

Makeitstop

I assumed they're 3.6, but wouldn't know.

Ground floor, and no paint visible no.

I ask because I am looking to have a kitchen extension done and these appear to be what the internal skin is made from. With that in mind, I wondered what bearing they'd have, because an SE that calculated for the steels to go into the rear wall of the house (which will be partly removed, with a span of 4.5 metres) hasn't offered any information on how the steel is to be installed. No padstone info, no goal post arrangement info, or whether the steels are bolted together. Simply calculations for two steels.

The architect suggested that the builder that does the work would know what way to go about it, and mentioned that a section of block / brickwork either side of the bearing "might" be required. I felt somewhat disappointed that the SE offered no information apart from raw calcs, which I thought was perhaps insufficient on their own.

Perhaps I am expecting too much. 

Also, what I was confused about on the SE's calcs was the fact that he was sent a drawing of the plan, showing a span of 4.5m, and calculated for steel at 4.6m. I questioned this with the architect who told me that the 4.6 was the dimension at the pinch points, and that the steel supplier would supply steels with the minimal bearing added, thus making the steels 4.9m. 

Is that normal practise? To me, why not show the calcs as done on steels of 4.9m?

I was baffled by it, but perhaps again this is down to my lack of knowledge on how these things are done.

Edited by Makeitstop