Wall dilemma- should she stay, or should she go?

Dunny1234

Hi, I’m converting a a breeze block barn. The private building control guy is happy to just leave a corner of the existing wall, but I’m concerned the council planning enforcement may get funny about how much we’ve knocked down, so I’ve left a whole 10m stretch of wall so it still looks a substantial part of the barn still exists.  My plan is to build up the new structure, and when a good chunk is built, I’ll then take the old wall down, and leave the corner as per request from building control.

The section of wall I’ve left is braced and propped, but I’m still worried is could come down. My dilemma is do I keep the wall section, and keep planning enforcement at bay. Or, take the wall down and and leave the corner and risk having an enforcement issue?

thanks. Sorry, if I sound stupid, as you can probably tell from my posts, I’m a novice.  

thanks in advance 

• 5 weeks later...

I think you would be wiser to keep as much of the building as possible. There are some horror stories about enforcement when demo has gone too far.

That said, ANY doubt or concerns about the stability of the wall, get a suitable qualified temporary works engineer involved. They weigh tonnes and you do not want it coming down on anyone.