Creation of a new internalised bedroom - potential window solutions?

We have recently purchased a 1bed ground floor flat located in a terrace and are looking to remove the existing (poor quality) rear extension and erect a new 6m long full width extension in its place. As you will see from image 3 (attached) we are hoping to create a new bedroom within the new space.

1232795186_Image3.thumb.jpg.0847e7274736da6424885e990555e087.jpg

This bedroom would be entirely internalised as it falls within the building line of the upper floors (shown in blue on image 2). We would like to ensure that light does get to this room and are looking whether the solutions would be to insert clerestory windows within the building line (roughly sketched out in image 1 - attached).

567967165_Image1.thumb.jpg.6c949eb34bfdc6a5b53a995fa6e3aa57.jpg

I have a couple of queries regarding this solution: 

1) Is it acceptable in planning and building regs terms that the only windows serving this new habitable room are (likely unopenable) high level clerestory windows which would not provide an escape route in case of fire, or manual ventilation. 

2) The property is south facing and receives great sunlight all year round. What are the chances that the Council (Wandsworth) would object to these types of windows on daylight/sunlight grounds

3) Structurally, are clerestory windows going to work in this instance when the majority of the existing wall will likely remain in place.

This is our first home (and project) and any help this community can offer would be greatly appreciated by us. 

Image 2.jpg

Welcome. Have you posted  an introduction in the Introduce Yorself forum -- always  appreciate !

My first point of contact would be Building Control; they may even come and visit now that we are on the way out of lockdown.

Areas you need to be sure about are light, as you say, and fire escape. 

For fire escape, I think you will need a "protected escape route" (that is, a sealed way out which will endure x minutes of fire, not through another room especially the kitchen), or an alternative such as a fitted sprinkler system if you do *not* have a protected escape route.

I think clerestory windows are likely to be OK, but they do make it more limited as a room - so you will need to design carefully.

Another Question to consider: will you be able to let it out in the future with just clerestory windows (my view: probably, but rules vary). This may not matter but you may wish to keep it as an investment when you move.

For your plan I think you your best route would be to have a firedoor between the hall and the lounge-kitchen, so that your escape route from that bedroom goes to the front exit through just the hall.

Suggest drawing up some draft project plans, reading the relevant Building Regs Doc, then talking to Building Control.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

I don’t think you’re using the extension to the best of its ability - I would put the bedroom out at the back, and create a large L-Shape of kitchen / dining / lounge and put a small en-suite into the bedroom. You will need to do some work with the extension to get some light in but I would say it will be a better use of space. 

Which way is north on your plans ..? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cjbrown91 said:

1) Is it acceptable in planning and building regs terms that... 

First of all, welcome. This looks like an interesting little project, should be fun.

Although most of on here look as if we know what we're doing - we don't ( except @Onoff - and he asks more questons than most ? - very nice man ....)

You ask two questions in 1) above ; Planning and Building Regs departments are different sections of the same organisation (the LA) often .  The best bet is to talk to the Planners and Building Regs departments in your LA (Local Authority). While the answers above might well be correct, we are only interested amateurs: you need to talk the BC and the Planners direct.

That said, you might like to ask us how we would suggest you approach (say) the Planning Department to get your project off the ground. Once that has PP, then you could ask us about your plans ( people often ask  for feedback on their plans) , and then finally ask for commentry or sugestiopns on your BC submission. Then, the fun starts.

Good luck

Ian

• Like 1

Welcome, an interesting project. If you get no joy from planning/building regs (some are very reluctant/understaffed ) a local architect may be able to point you in the right direction as they will (should) know what’s  acceptable locally.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cjbrown91 said:

1) Is it acceptable in planning and building regs terms that the only windows serving this new habitable room are (likely unopenable) high level clerestory windows which would not provide an escape route in case of fire, or manual ventilation. 

2) The property is south facing and receives great sunlight all year round. What are the chances that the Council (Wandsworth) would object to these types of windows on daylight/sunlight grounds

3) Structurally, are clerestory windows going to work in this instance when the majority of the existing wall will likely remain in place.

You will need purge ventilation for the new bedroom.  You also need some natural light.  If you could remove the section of wall where you currently have the 3 internal windows and extend the bedroom by 1 metre you could incorporate some Velux rooflights.  Fire escape will not be an issue as you do not have to travel through another room to get to the front door.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 04:57, Ferdinand said:

Welcome. Have you posted  an introduction in the Introduce Yorself forum -- always  appreciate !

My first point of contact would be Building Control; they may even come and visit now that we are on the way out of lockdown.

Areas you need to be sure about are light, as you say, and fire escape. 

For fire escape, I think you will need a "protected escape route" (that is, a sealed way out which will endure x minutes of fire, not through another room especially the kitchen), or an alternative such as a fitted sprinkler system if you do *not* have a protected escape route.

I think clerestory windows are likely to be OK, but they do make it more limited as a room - so you will need to design carefully.

Another Question to consider: will you be able to let it out in the future with just clerestory windows (my view: probably, but rules vary). This may not matter but you may wish to keep it as an investment when you move.

For your plan I think you your best route would be to have a firedoor between the hall and the lounge-kitchen, so that your escape route from that bedroom goes to the front exit through just the hall.

Suggest drawing up some draft project plans, reading the relevant Building Regs Doc, then talking to Building Control.

Ferdinand

Thank you very much for your comments Ferdinand. 

I'll be sure to add to the 'Introduce Yourself' page. 

I think you're right that we should speak with Building Control first to assess those areas ahead of time. By all accounts Wandsworth have a good building control team so this is probably the best first step. 

Thank you, 

CB

On 31/03/2021 at 09:17, PeterW said:

I don’t think you’re using the extension to the best of its ability - I would put the bedroom out at the back, and create a large L-Shape of kitchen / dining / lounge and put a small en-suite into the bedroom. You will need to do some work with the extension to get some light in but I would say it will be a better use of space. 

Which way is north on your plans ..? 

Hi Peter, 

The rear of the property faces south so we are hoping to capture as much light as possible from this aspect which is why we have tried to position the open plan kitchen/living room at the rear, unfortunately this limits the light getting to the bedroom unless we find an alternative solutions. I think the L shaped kitchen/living room makes a better use of the space but the additional bedroom could limit the light coming into the living room. Difficult decision but on balance probably the best solution. 

Thank you, 

CB

On 31/03/2021 at 10:06, Mr Punter said:

You will need purge ventilation for the new bedroom.  You also need some natural light.  If you could remove the section of wall where you currently have the 3 internal windows and extend the bedroom by 1 metre you could incorporate some Velux rooflights.  Fire escape will not be an issue as you do not have to travel through another room to get to the front door.

Thank you very much, we will explore that. Very reassuring about the fire escape point, we will run this past the building control team too