Opinion on ripple in roof

Hi all,

Could someone give me an opinion on a ripple on a roof of a house I am purchasing please. The ripple in the photos seems to line up with an extension that was built around 30 years ago, initially I thought maybe the roof was starting to sag but after an initial query I'm being told its been like it since it was built. From what I can tell at least 3-4 tiles are gapping in the area.

I realise the strucuture needs fully surveying but just looking for some initial opinions please, are tile gaps like this already a problem?

Thanks.

roof1.JPG

roof2.JPG

1 minute ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

If it lines up with an extension, it'll be where the old gable end wall is

I did wonder that and thought maybe the ripple could be caused where the roof would have originally kicked up at the end, would the old gable not have been removed and replaced with a truss?

What do you think about the tile gaps though, is that a problem?

Thanks

It depends what you see on the inside. Removing a gable end would be a huge largely unnecessary job to undertake, most people would just leave it be and start again with trusses the other side.

All of the bungalows on my street have this same little ripple where the party walls are between the 2 bungalows.

The gaps in the tiles don't look substantial as far as I can tell, and if its been like it for 30 years, again as long as inspection on the inside checks out i'd say it will be fine.

I've now been and looked at the roof structure and I think the purlins might be bending, also where the old gable would have been the original outer wall seems to be removed with some kind of tie left sticking out, the felt doesn't overlap so you can see the underside of the tiles. The batten levels are way out, on the newer section they are about 20-25mm lower than the ones above the old gable.

What do you think, pics below:

battens-at-old-gable-end.thumb.JPG.5669c15e8dd437804dc34603c1995f02.JPG

purlin.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

1 minute ago, woodpecker said:

I was thinking that as well, they were 4 or 5 inch at most, my current roof has 7 inch purlins, is this likely to just get worse until something breaks?

Ah, i almost asked if they were 4x2`s but thought it must be camera angle.

If the extension has been there a long time then its unlikely to get worse, the purlins will have distorted to the point where they stabilize the compression and tension loads.

The existing cannot move due to the gable wall so i wouldn't have a problem with it. 

15 minutes ago, markc said:

Ah, i almost asked if they were 4x2`s but thought it must be camera angle.

If the extension has been there a long time then its unlikely to get worse, the purlins will have distorted to the point where they stabilize the compression and tension loads.

The existing cannot move due to the gable wall so i wouldn't have a problem with it. 

It's been there around around 30 years, do you think it would need any remedial work or can be just left as it is?

Those 'purlins' look like 6x2, certainly not what they should be. The purlins in my roof (and I've not measured them) must be at least 14x4's, they're huge, though my span is bigger than this, the fact they're bending shows its not suitable.

I would put some cross ties on to each set of rafters, leave those purlins which are already in, and it'll give some extra support. Search 'raised tie roof truss' to show you what i mean.

Other than that, if the roof isn't leaking, and it certainly looks dry, I wouldn't worry about it. The next time you have it re-roofed, one section will just get overbattened to raise the height.