Looking to self build via community group bid.

Mitch

Hi all

I'm fairly new here posting but I've been lurking and genning up on the forums.

I'm looking to do a self build, but land prices are bonkers atm, and the land for sale is rarer than rocking horse droppings!

So I am thinking of setting up a community self build project in Cheshire (Cheshire Westish area) and I just wanted to gauge interest out there for other wannabe self builders in Cheshire who wanted to do the same and on a budget.

Pls feel free to get in touch if you're interested.

Thanks for reading

• Like 2

There was a project in Brighton a few years ago.  They did small timber framed houses proper self build. Sea Saw Way it is now called.  Walter Segal inspired.  Hedgehog Housing Co-op.  Kind of good, kind of soap dodgers.

One or two other members have posted something similar in times past. It'd be amazing if something like this ever got off the ground.

Something like a mini Graven Hill would be an awesome thing to follow.

14 hours ago, Mitch said:

So I am thinking of setting up a community self build project in Cheshire

This doesn't address your question directly. Have you talked to other self-build communities? On the off-chance you might want to speak to others who already have, you might like to investigate the CoHousing project that's here in Lancaster. They are a very friendly bunch

On 30/03/2021 at 11:08, ToughButterCup said:

This doesn't address your question directly. Have you talked to other self-build communities? On the off-chance you might want to speak to others who already have, you might like to investigate the CoHousing project that's here in Lancaster. They are a very friendly bunch

Tnx buttercup (funny name btw ?) I will look into that.

• Like 1

We’re looking to do a self build in the next couple of years. Based in Altrincham but looking outwards to Cheshire and you’re right plot prices are making us wonder if it’s even feasible! I think this would be a great idea. A mini Graven Hill...perhaps a bit more space between the houses though ?

16 hours ago, VicRal said:

you’re right plot prices are making us wonder if it’s even feasible! 

Persistence.

The Lancaster Co-Housing project took years to get off the ground. They  provide a really useful  and detailed timeline of how the project developed - somebody has put a good deal of effort into producing this resource. Just in case the page linked to  doesn't load, here's the source page

The key issue is finding like-minded people with whom to work. The unifying idea is ecology, and is explained here. Just  a bit of luck helps.

On 30/03/2021 at 09:06, jack said:

One or two other members have posted something similar in times past. It'd be amazing if something like this ever got off the ground.

Something like a mini Graven Hill would be an awesome thing to follow.

The problem with Graven Hill is that a plot for a 3 bed house is £185K with a plot size of 217 m2 and you have to use their contactors to build the foundations.

Edited by Adrian Walker
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 months later...