Doorway architrave

Pocster

One of my doorways is tight to perpendicular stud so there’s not much room for architrave. The doorways are all 84cm wide . Should I reduce the width of this one ( I.e screw a length of timber vertically in the frame ) so architrave will fit ? . Should I then adjust all the doorways so they are the same width ?

C1B4CC74-A61E-433F-BA59-77A939EBBF47.jpeg

5BDF50DF-D7DF-4E90-B098-6D5ABF0C2CA5.jpeg

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Don't forget you have the door lining width about 30mm as well, so you will still get some architrave on there.  Are the doors standard or made to measure?

True . I did forget that . They’ll be pre hung made to measure 

26 minutes ago, pocster said:

True . I did forget that . They’ll be pre hung made to measure 

Some of the made to measure ones have architrave already fitted on one side and with a slot to accept the stuff on the other.  With these, it is best not to have to scribe the architrave to a wall and you are best finding out the width of the arch and making the adjustment on the opening if required.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Some of the made to measure ones have architrave already fitted on one side and with a slot to accept the stuff on the other.  With these, it is best not to have to scribe the architrave to a wall and you are best finding out the width of the arch and making the adjustment on the opening if required.

That requires planning and knowing things in advance ! . That needs organisation and structure . Why change the way my project has been run now ! ?

• Haha 1

The door opening in the frame is almost always over sized and the door liner will need packing.  In a similar situation i used the absolute minimum packing on one side so there was more packing on the other side where the space for architrave was tight.  Then i cut the architrave to size and fitted it.  you hardly notice that it is thinner than the other side of the door.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The door opening in the frame is almost always over sized and the door liner will need packing.  In a similar situation i used the absolute minimum packing on one side so there was more packing on the other side where the space for architrave was tight.  Then i cut the architrave to size and fitted it.  you hardly notice that it is thinner than the other side of the door.

I’ll leave it “ as is “ for now ?