Basalt Wall Ties

Any opinions on basalt wall ties (Teplo) versus normal wall ties?

They seem to be much more expensive, so worth the investment?

If so, best place to buy them? And do they generally just replace existing wall ties i.e. same amount in same positions?

Thanks

8 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

The end caps are supposed to be for eye protection.

The bar I got is sand coated pultruded basalt which gives stronger bond- same as the original Teplo wall to wall tie...you just have to buy a bag of orings to push on as drip point.

orlitech.co.uk  a subsidiary of  Galen industries in Russia. http://galencomposite.com

Any BBA?  Sometimes Building Control can be sticklers.

No BBA- the long lengths are BBA certified for rebar, but if you check the Galen website its the exact same material in rock bolt, wall ties and rebars...the Galen site has USA cert for wall tie.

But an SE can cert it complies with BS from technical details if you really need it. It was going to cost me over 2 grand in teplo for 375mm ties!

Two choices in this world...if you can afford it

But an SE can cert it complies with BS from technical details if you really need it. It was going to cost me over 2 grand in teplo for 375mm ties!

Wow!  I would want them to include the bricks for that!

Not being a bricklayer myself, is it trickier to build with a wide cavity?  They often seem to like to build the inner leaf with the wall ties poking out, then the outer leaf later.

You can actually buy it in 500m coils...works out very cheap. I think  www.basalt.tech carry coils.

there is also Neutras ties in uk https://www.vistaeng.co.uk/news/neutras-low-thermal-conductivity-wall-ties/ note the yellow end cap...so u can see it and not gouge your eyes.

Thanks everyone. This is all great stuff. @gravelrash did you buy them from orlitech.co.uk ?  Anyone specific to talk to?

SE can’t certify product if no BS for teplo type tie. Even if there is a BS manufacturer normally has to certify as part of CE marking. Note both teplo and neutras have BBA certS I so assume normal wall tie BS does not cover these. No BBA or compliance with BS means fitness for use under Building Regs can be questioned.

• Like 1

You can't bend them out of the way so thats the reason for eye protectors if the wall is brought up single leaf first.

But its a real rip off with basalt...the Neutras ones are also just rebar cut to size by the look...helical nut thread along length. with a massive uplift in cost.

3 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Wow!  I would want them to include the bricks for that!

Not being a bricklayer myself, is it trickier to build with a wide cavity?  They often seem to like to build the inner leaf with the wall ties poking out, then the outer leaf later.

Makes no difference other than its a bit further to reach and the wider cavity means your trowel can often end up at the bottom of it.

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I did some calcs on basalt wall ties and ended up with standard stainless as the losses for my near passive house was negligible.

That's good to know thanks joe90. We are doing the same thing, aiming to do our best but not strictly going for passive house.