Gravel stabiliser grids - any experience?

We are laying a path around the back of our house and thought these gravel stabiliser grids might a) make it easier to clear leaves off it with a leaf blower (we have a huge beech tree right above) and b) make it easier to walk on.

Does anyone have any experience of these and any favourite brands?

We have been googling and found Core Path, Nidagravel, Gravel grid and Naylor Metropane.  Some are shallower than others (Core Path only 18mm vs 40mm for the others) so gravel usage varies too.  Any others to note?

Any top tips please?

4 minutes ago, Russdl said:

We plan on using this for paths and maybe even the driveway, following with interest. 

We are also considering it for the driveway too.  Going to try a path first as an experiment.  Hoping for some recommendations......

Am leaning towards Nidagravel at the moment.  Its 29mm deep but suggests over-filling by 20mm to allow for settlement.  Slightly cheaper than Corepath.

Gravelgrid looks the cheapest though (an add on from Stonewarehouse so you have to buy your gravel from there too). 40mm deep though so more gravel needed.

Easter weekend project so will post photos.

6 minutes ago, Russdl said:

What colour grid are you going for?

And what gravel? Gravel gravel or something else?

Am thinking about a black basalt.  Apparently it has to be angular gravel and 10mm max so thought this would do the trick.

https://www.stonewarehouse.co.uk/gravel-chippings/gravel/black-basalt-gravel-6mm

Got some pebbles from them recently.  They are nice, but the sizing was a bit random (15mm - 30mm pebbles and at least half were significantly larger, even in both dimensions) so thought best to err on the small side.

Need to sort of match a grey porcelain slab which will be adjacent.

Looks like it is possible to pour resin on top of some grids (Core Drive) which gives food for thought for a driveway.

https://www.garden-builders.co.uk/copy-of-core-gravel

Was looking at white grids though clearly that won't work with a black basalt so well so maybe grey or black.

What are you thinking?

Found another supplier.  StablePAVE.  Their eco one (black or translucent) is working out cheapest.  I only have 15 sqm to do.  

Will look tomorrow at my build up.  Bit more crushed concrete needed which I'm shifting by hand /wheelbarrow from elsewhere on site.  Then need to whack it.  And a layer of sand.  Seems simple enough but bet it won't be.  Things never are ?

56 minutes ago, Russdl said:

I’ve seen some. Is that not down to poor prep or is that inevitable regardless of the prep?

We have a site where the show house drive was done with these grids After seeing this we immediately decided to do our 400m2 drive with these By the time we were ready 18 months had passed and The show house drive was looking pretty shabby Mainly bare and broken grids around the edge 

The groundwork’s company who laid these said they are not maintenance free and will move with vehicles running on them 

We bit the bullet and put 400 m2 of pavers down instead 

and will probably do the same on our next builds The grids arnt cheap 

Though I do like them for off road hard standing Grassed over 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Chanmenie said:

I have been looking at the grids and grave, I would like brick weave but 200 m2 would be too expensive and I’m pretty sure the planning dept will insist on a permeable driveway 

We are in a conservation area 

Our planning insisted on permeable and a rumble strip by the road So we assumed gravel or gravel It was BC that said Block pavers are still considered permeable As long as we don’t seal them 

CE50341D-0E8F-4474-B4D1-78AEBB8CEDD7.jpeg

4 hours ago, nod said:

It was BC that said Block pavers are still considered permeable As long as we don’t seal them 

They are wrong.  You can get special permeable SUDs compliment paving which have gaps between the units and you are supposed to use special bedding and jointing materials.  The cost is over double.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

They are wrong.  You can get special permeable SUDs compliment paving which have gaps between the units and you are supposed to use special bedding and jointing materials.  The cost is over double.

Yes that’s my understanding, from what I have read 

• 2 weeks later...

Update post Easter weekend project 

pros

- easy to cut to size  (I used a jigsaw)

- weed membrane already on with plenty of overlap for adjoining pieces 

- very quick to fill with gravel once laid

cons

- cost is a factor though we have saved on gravel and the hard surface is great

- took longer than expected to lay the grids, levelling being the real issue. In one area the path is “bouncy”. I reckon I had a dip in the sand layer there. Probably a boot print.

- need to be careful of grid as can’t walk on it without gravel in it. I cracked one of the honeycomb sections by kneeling in it to put the next section in. Not the end of the world unless it’s a driveway (though the grids for that are stronger)

final surface still has loose gravel as you need to leave a min 10mm above the grid. But it’s a solid surface underneath and when you walk on it it doesn’t give like a usual gravel path. 

i used 6mm basalt chippings. Really easy to smooth into the grid as so small. They dry dark grey but look black when wet. Once I’ve cleaned the trim at the bottom of the exterior walls it might look better.

pleased with end result.  I’d use again.

7715EA37-B64B-4980-9D29-3FFB69755D68.jpeg

5ED27C5A-0F0A-44DA-A437-22023AF9A301.jpeg

A97CC955-46DF-4C52-867A-505F56CBD5FB.jpeg

BD270DDC-B977-43F5-9BDB-FAAA6D818C11.jpeg

• Thanks 1