Help Please - Abysmal slab pour

bradders3109

Hi all,

I have today attempted my first concrete slab.  It isn't a big room  about 2.75m by 3.5m .

We are replacing a suspended timber floor so the walls are already built which made things difficult.  It was a day full of choice language and despite the best efforts of myself and the ministry of fun we have made a bit of a mess.   The result is a slab that rises and falls by up to about 15mm in places.

I am thinking that I could go over it with a thin screed or self levelling compound but don't know if this is a good or bad idea.

the slab will be covered with 150mm of celotex and a final screed so won't be seen but i'll always know that it isn't level.  

Is there a product that I can use on a newly laid slab to level it and cover imperfections.

Your help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

From my limited experience I would say don't panic. With Celotex on top, the final screed will determine the level for your final floor covering. 

What thickness is the final screed?

Edited by JamesP

2 minutes ago, JamesP said:

It will be fine. Now go have a drink and relax.

Just now, Onoff said:

It'll be fine.  If really worried put a thin bed of sharp sand down and level that.

Where is your dpm going or is that already in?

DPM is under the slab but laps up the walls by another 400mm to take it above the celotex and screed.

2 minutes ago, bradders3109 said:

Would you just leave the sharp sand loose or mix it with cement and SBR to form a screed?

Sharp sand, laid dry and levelled into the hollows. Then Celotex, slip membrane and screed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bradders3109 said:

does it not need to be level for the celotex?

No it doesn’t 

The celotex sheets often cause bumps and humps 

As long as your screed doesn’t drop below 50 mil on the high spots You will be ok 

I'd leave it loose. Not much difference to what I did blinding my hardcore.

SAM_1087

Looks great when it's done!

SAM_1088

SAM_1092

You doing any more rooms? I screwed screed rails to the stud walls and used a drag board to get the concrete dead level. No screed, I just tiled on top. Pity my tiling's crap!

SAM_3349

SAM_3354

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You doing any more rooms? I screwed screed rails to the stud walls

I did screw rails to opposing walls but with trying to mix, barrow into the room and tamp level it got in front of me.  The missus was filling buckets ready for the next mix.

3 minutes ago, bradders3109 said:

I did screw rails to opposing walls but with trying to mix, barrow into the room and tamp level it got in front of me.  The missus was filling buckets ready for the next mix.

You'll be more aware / better prepared next time!

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies gents.

The reassurance and encouragement makes a massive difference to a Virgin self builder.

I’ve looked at it again this morning and it’s worse than I originally thought.  However 20mm of sharp sand will level it up and cover the eyesore.

The positive is that the slab is drying solid although the depth will be variable between 100 and 120mm.

Thanks again.