Roofing Quotes

Location in UK?

specification of Slate?

ready for felt and batten meaning that’s to be priced for too?

Bungalow, 2 storey, town house?

personally if I was a slater, I wouldn’t be interested, people buying materials not knowing what they are doing and expect trades to deliver a silk purse.

47 minutes ago, TonyT said:

personally if I was a slater, I wouldn’t be interested, people buying materials not knowing what they are doing and expect trades to deliver a silk purse.

Well depends if you are having a discussion with them up front. Makes perfect sense as if they are a sole trader you don't want them buying materials as you can't get the VAT back. 

I've agreed this with my roofers, I'll batten then sark the roof ( SIPS) then they will do slating including grading and leadwork. They are going to charge 26 per sqm. I have a 330sqm roof.

8 hours ago, TonyT said:

Location in UK?

specification of Slate?

ready for felt and batten meaning that’s to be priced for too?

Bungalow, 2 storey, town house?

North West UK. Its not difficult to source top quality spanish slate, felt and batten. When running a full development you dont always want a trade to come in and purchase the materials, its not always necessary , especially when the hirer knows what he is doing 

7 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Well depends if you are having a discussion with them up front. Makes perfect sense as if they are a sole trader you don't want them buying materials as you can't get the VAT back. 

I've agreed this with my roofers, I'll batten then sark the roof ( SIPS) then they will do slating including grading and leadwork. They are going to charge 26 per sqm. I have a 330sqm roof.

Well yeah its especially valid where the VAT needs claiming back on materials and the firm is small who are laying the materials

I always want the trade to purchase materials as there is no arguing about the quality, delays with delivery etc

let them store, manage delivery.

there may be client specific items, but I suppose everybody is different, appreciate the VAT thing but that’s not my world.

Four years ago we were given a price of £1.20 per slate CASH With a 6 weeks wait We finished up hiring a bumper hoist and my wife and my self skated the roof and two garages ourselves 

image.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nod said:

Four years ago we were given a price of £1.20 per slate CASH With a 6 weeks wait We finished up hiring a bumper hoist and my wife and my self skated the roof and two garages ourselves 

image.jpg

Looking decent Nod. Me and the Mrs, bumper hoist, done the same a few times.

• Thanks 1