Do I really need an extractor in kitchen?

7 minutes ago, Stones said:

Yes, that's the stuff that was in ours, sandwiched between two stainless steel mesh screens, with a layer of some sort of coarse filter foam.  The filter foam was washable and I'm pretty sure was only there to keep the carbon granules in place.

Best check how your filter is made before trying it!

Ours is easy, there are spring clips around the edge that release the mesh from the frame, then it's just a matter of laying the filter flat on some newspaper and carefully taking it apart.

• Like 1

Just been having a look at replacement filters.  The current filter has a 30mm thick piece of carbon foam within a nylon sleeve.  Genuine replacements are eye wateringly expensive, so here are the alternatives I've found:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Active-Carbon-Filter-Round-Set-Exhaust-Hood-Universal-Electrolux-902979357-Tefal-/142592319553#shpCntId

what looks promising about this one is that it appears to be filled with granules, which could in future be cheaply replaced.

Alternatively, I could just buy some replacement foam, and swap it out every 3 months

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-50-50-2cm-Fish-Tank-Activated-Carbon-Filtration-Foam-Filter-Sheet-Sponge-Pad/152796144787?hash=item23935c2493:m:mq8oUKVIRF-ZtEiUeg9fN0A

I should get two sets of 'filters' out of one sheet.

So, foam or granules?

My experience has been that the granules are both more effective, and, if you want to save more money, they can be regenerated, in the same way that older NBC respirator filters are regenerated.  

To regenerate used carbon granules you need to lay them out on a tray and heat them to a temperature that will drive off all the volatiles that they have absorbed.  In general, heating to around 250 deg C in a well-ventilated area for around 2 hours will more or less regenerate the size of granules used in these filters.  An alternative, that works just as well (perhaps better in some ways) is to place the tray of granules in a very sunny location, so they get direct sunlight.  Around half a day of being heated to around 30 to 40 deg C and exposed to sunlight should do the job OK.  Might not work too well where you are, though.........

If you want to turn the granules into highly activated charcoal (which is better at absorbing volatiles) then you could look at making up a superheated steam regenerator.  Not for the faint hearted, as you need a pressurised boiler capable of blowing hot, dry, steam over the carbon at around 300 deg C or so.

Edited by JSHarris