Aluminium or concrete cills

djcdan

8 minutes ago, Russdl said:

@jayc89 that will all depend on how high above the window the gutter is.

In our situation the window in the main bedroom is on the side wall, gable end and no gutter. When it’s chucking it down the big drips hitting the metal cill is like a drum. 

When it happens I generally move out to the spare room where the gutter is just above the window head and the problem is almost non existent. 

That's useful to know, thanks. We have a hipped roof, so guttering all around and reasonably long eaves, so I'm taking that we'd be lower risk of getting that noise?

Thermally concrete is tricker but it's cheap and uber durable.

We have 600mm overhang of our hip roof including gutters.

The only time the upstairs bedroom windows get wet is when there's a howling wind to join the rain. 

20 minutes ago, Iceverge said:

Thermally concrete is tricker but it's cheap and uber durable.

We have 600mm overhang of our hip roof including gutters.

The only time the upstairs bedroom windows get wet is when there's a howling wind to join the rain. 

I say reasonably long eaves, they're nearly half yours at 350mm! (They look much longer, unless the elevation drawings I have are wrong!) The sill would be nearly 2300mm below the gutter. 

10 hours ago, jayc89 said:

That's useful to know, thanks. We have a hipped roof, so guttering all around and reasonably long eaves, so I'm taking that we'd be lower risk of getting that noise?

We have alu cills with our Norrsken windows - the only noisy ones when raining are the small GF windows in the gable end; the FF windows in the same gable (including the one in our bedroom) are not affected, presumably they get enough protection from the roof eaves.

• Like 1

No noise from our aluminium sills - one is 3m long and water landing on it from two stories above. And they are deeper than standard due to the extra 100mm EWI. They do seem to splash back on to the glass, not sure if that's specific to aluminium but certainly more than I've noticed on other buildings with concrete sills.

They are really, thick, heavy sills laid on a full bed of foam / EPS.