EPS Foundations.

Big Jimbo

I really like the idea of using EPS type foundations but, i have some large trees that i would like if possible to keep. The trees would defo be in the zone of influence. Anybody on here got experience of using this type of foundation near large trees ? I was wondering if it was just the case of having a deeper layer of stone than normal ?

How close is close ..?? And what type of tree ..?

You could use something like Hy-Tex barrier to create a root protection area and then extend the stone downward slight to strengthen the edges but you’d need an engineer to sign it off. It’s a raft so the the strength is there, it’s just if the tree roots would affect the area. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

How close is close ..?? And what type of tree ..?

You could use something like Hy-Tex barrier to create a root protection area and then extend the stone downward slight to strengthen the edges but you’d need an engineer to sign it off. It’s a raft so the the strength is there, it’s just if the tree roots would affect the area. 

Poplar, 2mt away Peter, so bloody close. I will have to find a different engineer as mine does not like , or have any interest in the EPS type foundations (very old school) and (quite old)

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

Just think if you don’t use a raft you are definitely piling anyway. 

So might as well start looking into them. 

Very true, just a bit of a shame as i will have to have a shite load of piles coming up through the eps in order to link with the concrete floor. Lots of bloody cold spots.

2 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

Very true, just a bit of a shame as i will have to have a shite load of piles coming up through the eps in order to link with the concrete floor. Lots of bloody cold spots.

I thought of this a couple of years ago and Jeremy Harris ran some numbers and said it wasn’t a problem, as the ground the piles are in isn’t actually that cold as it’s all under the eps and the piles are surrounded in soil. 

Its a bit like why does your water main not freeze underground, it’s actually not cold down there, it’s cold bridges coming from above ground that are more a problem. 

1 minute ago, Russell griffiths said:

I thought of this a couple of years ago and Jeremy Harris ran some numbers and said it wasn’t a problem, as the ground the piles are in isn’t actually that cold as it’s all under the eps and the piles are surrounded in soil. 

Its a bit like why does your water main not freeze underground, it’s actually not cold down there, it’s cold bridges coming from above ground that are more a problem. 

Ah ha Russell. When you think about it that makes sense. Can you remember, somebody on here made there own eps founds. I'm sure they had a blog ?

10 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Ah ha Russell. When you think about it that makes sense. Can you remember, somebody on here made there own eps founds. I'm sure they had a blog ?

I remember reading about a builder who did this years ago. Let me see if I can find the site. 

• Thanks 1

Hmm, can't find it at the moment. Pretty sure it was a video about Mike Whitfield building something designed by Janet Cotterell (who co-wrote "The Passivhaus Handbook"). Saw it around 2014 or 2015, but it might have been a year or two older than that. He showed how he built up a passive raft using just sheets of EPS.

It was something like these: 

https://tdscustomconstruction.com/blog/passive-house/the-foundation-system/

https://terrahaus.wordpress.com/2011/06/07/frost-protected-shallow-foundations/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

@SuperJohnG's blog maybe?

Pretty sure @LA3222 answered some of John's questions with how he did it previously. Seem to remember he posted up some cracking pics of his super tidy EPS detailing...but I can't find them?

Both me and @LA3222 used a Kore system, albeit set up by ourselves it wasn't made out of standard EPS by ourselves, the edge profiles with the upstand are supplied pre cut. I would question anyone's sanity fabricating their own EPS profiles for the upstand section, seems madness when you consider there would only be say £1k saving. The inner section is just standard EPS sheets. 

• Like 2