Polytunnel

asklair

Is there a place for this on this site, do not want to start posting on this subject if it will dilute the main purpose as a self-build site.

My view is you are building a structure which to my way of living is an integral part of my house, more important than a conservatory.

So it's up to you folks yay or nay. Please do not send me to a garden forum.

Just got the top netting on deer fence for my outdoor living room (veg allotment), got a house with no garden, the dynamic land owner sees the bigger picture and is willing to work with us.

DSCF5013.JPG

I'm not sure I see your question yet, but I can't see why a poly tunnel can't be discussed like any other garden building.

Not sure how you find the room for a poly tunnel with no garden, I presume some arrangement with the land owner?

Excellent things.

We used to have one for veg for years and years. One side was entirely strawberries :-).

Can make your own eg by using water supply pipe slotted over tough stakes driven into the ground for ribs and wrapping in polythene or fruit netting can be used. Good for the UK climate.

Or get a real one.

The main problem was that some vermin e.g. Foxes might eat their way in.

Ferdinand

I have all the bits for a large polytunnel and then another one...... The pipe is 42mm OD so its fairly serious, however i live in a very windy location and the construction and ground anchoring will need to be a serious undertaking. I am at least six months away from constructing it but when i do i will also be looking for some help with ideas for  stabilisation, insulation, drainage, heating and various other bits and peices. I will be treating it with just as much attention to detail as any other building project.  So i look forward to your posts and questions. 

My advice, in the OPs exposed location would be to forget about DIY tunnels made from plastic pipe, or even the domestic ones made from small diameter, thin gauge tube.  You need a frame that will last and cope with being re-covered a few times, as even the best plastic degrades after a few years and has to be replaced.

My mother's polytunnels, in an exposed moorland location, have tubes around 40 to 50mm diameter, with solid cross-bracing and anti-chafe tape on the outer edges, to reduce premature cover failure.  The covers are heavy gauge agricultural polythene.  The frames ends are concreted in the ground to reduce the chance of the wind blowing the things away. 

I'm pretty sure mothers polytunnels were second hand, frames bought at a farm sale around 30 or so years ago.  They may well be 40 or 50 years old now, yet are still OK.  Covers seem to last no more than about 10 years, though.

Eden uses hexagons that interlock.  The frame is quite large and made from aluminium.

There are two sheets of polythene in each hexagon and they pump air between them to create a bubble.  This helps insulate.

Also means you can change smaller areas is there is damage.

I think they probably based the design on this chaps ideas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller

Edited by SteamyTea

Guest Alphonsox

@asklairMy brother lives on the Isle of Mull in a location that looks very much like your photo. He uses polytunnels by First Tunnels https://www.firsttunnels.co.uk/ They seem very robust when kitted out with the bracing kit.

Here are couple of pictures :-His description "Its a First Tunnels 12x20 with oversize tubes, cropbars, twin support brace kit, anchor plates and timber base rails. Would recommend aluminium base rails if the budget allows as the timber base rail involves quite a lot of faffing around when building. We also got the staging for one side  but note this is only the legs for the staging, you have to supply your own timber."

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

EDIT - Added YouTube video to

Absolutely. Horses for courses and polytunnel structures for weather regimens.

It is a potential use for all the left over waterpipe from that big reel we all bought and were left with 25m or so.

Alternatively one could use the compressor, some gubbins and an appropriate ball and make some sort of neighbour annoying Iraqi-style supergun embedded in the verge of the roof.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

22 hours ago, ProDave said:

I'm not sure I see your question yet, but I can't see why a poly tunnel can't be discussed like any other garden building.

Not sure how you find the room for a poly tunnel with no garden, I presume some arrangement with the land owner?

Made arrangement with land owner.

@Alphonsox

Many thanks for advice and photos, the outcome we are now going for a 14 by 25, originally going for 12 by 25, crop bars, twin support brace kit," anchor plates" (advice needed) and aluminium base rails. The option for oversize tubes appears to be gone, they may of upgrade the standard design as another seller use to point out the importance of diameter and thickness of the tubing. Also going for 2 piece instead of 4 piece tubing, this appears to be stronger, 4 piece easier to transport. What I am not sure of is the "anchor plates" (info on the web but satellite internet so slow at the moment), am I right to think they are tubes with plates at the bottom, you dig a hole, place them in and backfill with concrete. First Tunnels do a PDF download instruction manual, will download when bandwidth lets me.  Finally just going for standard polytunnel cover material unless it's obvious to upgrade to a different spec.

Guest Alphonsox

Hi @asklair, I'll contact my brother and try and get more details. I would also suggest calling First Tunnels and discussing your requirements with them. The anchor plates are square metal plates that are clamped to the base of the hoop tubes an buried in soil - there should be no need for concrete but I guess that depends on the depth of soil available to you at you location. The standard cover material should be the best choice unless you are intending to heat the tunnel in which case the thermal version my be useful.

When you get to somewhere with internet bandwidth available you should take a look at the First Tunnels YouTube channel - Lots of useful "how to" videos.

https://www.youtube.com/user/polytunnels

• 2 weeks later...

@Alphonsox all going well, took me ages setting up and concreting in poles, the hoops were so easy to put up. I was in Glasgow the other day and B&Q had an offer on post concrete 20kg bags, around £3.50 a bag, made that part of the job easy. Still more to do, and tips on putting the polyethene sheet on would be great. Forgot to say I put  U clamps on the poles I concreted in.

DSCF5100.JPG

DSCF5146.JPG

DSCF5184.JPG

DSCF5201.JPG

• Like 1

Guest Alphonsox

Looking very good. I've just talked to my brother, the hints I can pass on regarding fitting the sheet are as follows :-

1. Watch all the videos on the companies web site, they will give you the best idea of how to do things and what to expect.

2. Fitting the sheet is a 2 person job, don't attempt it on your own

3. Take time to centre the sheet. There is not a huge amount spare when wrapping around to the end doors.

4. Most importantly don't attempt to fit the sheet in cold weather.

The last point is critical. The sheet expands and contracts significantly with temperature. One tightly fitted in cold weather will be very flabby once the sun comes out and the snow melts. Ideally wait for a warm, calm day

Good luck!

We built a 10m catamaran (that we consequently sailed across the Atlantic) in a polytunnel, it was a great workshop. Our tunnel weathered several gales and from that experience I'd say make your doors well, as you can see from the photo - ours were crap. I had to venture out in my pyjamas on a couple of windy occasions to lash them up.

The 'hotspot' tape many 'tunnel companies offer as an extra was worthwhile, preventing chafe on the cover and extending it's life considerably. The chap who inherited the polytunnel from us didn't bother with the tape and his sheeting showed signs of wear within a year.

Tunnels get hot. I got tired of boatbuilding in scorching greenhouse temperatures and then one day - idly pondering the greenhouse effect, albedo and other things whilst sweatily sanding fiberglass - the idea of some white cloud cover in the form of an arctic camoflague net came out of nowhere: instant, permanent cirro-cumulus! It worked a treat. 

37c2a86d-c04b-418a-85eb-9c850a63a582.jpg

• Like 1