Induction hob pulsing

My only exposure to induction hobs is my in-laws, who have had one for a long time now having switched from electric. We have always had gas, and theirs drives me mad as using it on anything other than full power results in what seem like very long pulses- using it at 70% feels like it is on full power for 5 seconds then off for two. Whilst this is probably an exaggeration in my head it doesn't seem like it when you are using it and just results in things getting burnt/boiling over. I know inductions are by their very nature on or off, and that pulsing is how they modulate power, but I don't want this to be noticeable in use. 

As everyone says, its very easy to clean, but its for cooking on, not cleaning...

Is this a thing of the past with inductions, or is the pulsing still noticeable with newer models? Do we need to be spending more £££ to minimise this? 

I've been looking at various Samsung/AEG/Bosch models around the £3-400 mark, but there seems very little between most models on paper other than things like flexi zones etc as you move up the ranges. Any specific recommendations certainly appreciated. 

Thanks in advance

It may be to do with power limiting.

We have a Siemens hob and one pair of adjacent rings (the two smallest) has some sort of power-sharing arrangement. If I try to, say, boil water on both, they will alternately pulse as they share power.

The other rings aren't affected by this, and other than this issue, all others modulate down fine without pulsing.

The pulsing is usually power limitation, many hobs can be plugged into 13Amp socket or hard wired onto 30amp supply.

Some need a link/switch changing over. some hobs also go into auto power limiting if mains voltage is low.

My old IH used to pulse noticeably, the new one does not, even though it is pulsing.

All I can put it down to is the old one had a temperature sensor.  This is going to be affected by the thermal properties of the ceramic hob and the pots and pans.

Have a look in the manual and see if it can be set to a predetermined temperature, rather than just power.

Makes no difference to the quality of my cooking.

Thanks all- I was already leaning towards ensuring we go for 30A not 13A to avoid the power limiting issue, however the one I have experience of does this even when only using one ring and will run quite happily on full power (just when you turn it down there is an issue) so I'm not sure this is the particular issue here. We are planning to put an induction in our upcoming renovation and really keen to avoid the pulsing issue. @SteamyTea do you mind me asking what you have now?

My bosch induction hob pulses on the lower settings, I don't see it as a problem from my experience.

The power limiting people talk of is another noise, this is a clicking as it turns different rings on for a specific amount of time dependent on power setting

Edited by MikeGrahamT21

• 4 weeks later...

My Israeli designed, Turkish made, Electra Elecheib induction hob will pulse on certain settings to effect a simmer. Every other setting is full power to all 4 rings. Tbh it's been marvellous. 7.3kw mind.