thoughts on using landscape designer

I've rather left the outside of my project as something to worry about later, but later never seems to come and my DIY ethic means that it will be 2030 before I get around to the garden if it is left to me (I'm still up to my eyes in work on the inside). I dont want to landscape or design the whole lot,  just a hardwood decking area and a larger stone patio area to create an outside living space which we really need. I did initially think why would I want to pay someone to design a decking area and some paving. But actually the area we want to landscape here is quite large and with different sections and is sloping so there are changes of level to think about, walls, steps and 3 entrance ways to cater for - large kitchen opening and 2 sets of double doors. Also need to think about the aesthetics which might beneift from someone who has done this before. In a nutshell I am coming around to the idea that having someone do a design and provide some drawing and I can then use a few sub-contractors and give them something to build to with me perpaps doing the initial digging out and footings for walls.

I dont know whether to try a few local garden design outfits or perhaps the architectural tehcnologist who did my drawings for planning and regs. Interested if anyone has had any experiences good or bad. 

I had a garden designed a few years ago and was really pleased with the results.  She really know about plants and we ended up with lots of things we would not have otherwise chosen.  My one regret is not doing it sooner as by the time we had finished the new garden was only 4 years old and we had the house for 15.

I saw some pictures of it on Rightmove recently and it looks great now it is mature.

thanks for the link, interesting that we have a similar issue to that discussed there by @HerbJ with a sloping site and struggling to see how it might all come together. We've lined up a few outfits to come and quote to give us a design so we'll see what they have to offer.

We're in exactly the same position. 2.5m level change from front to back of the house, and another 7m down to the burn. We've been searching everywhere for a designer that shares our taste... Only one we found ghosted us after the initial consult lol.

Seems gardening tastes here are very conservative and traditional, and designers seem just to cater to that.

Likewise I have a fairly large sloping site and thought I had a good idea for the landscaping I wanted. I begrudgingly ran it past the contracts manager that deals with golf course design and landscaping in our company and he made some simple changes i believe will make a big different to how it will look and more importantly  how it will be used. A bit like an Architect I suppose, a good one will always add value

• 4 weeks later...