Reclaiming VAT on self build

On 19/06/2020 at 21:50, Foldyard said:

As another example, the MC had its own scaffolding but would charge me a cost for using it on my build. 

1 hour ago, Foldyard said:

(i)  I am not actually hiring any scaffolding and certainly not on its own; it belongs to my main contractor he is not supplying it to me.

(ii) Even if my main contractor was hiring the scaffolding and using it to provide his buiilding service to me, it would be a cost component of the contractors supply and not something specifically supplied on to me.

1 hour ago, newhome said:

Why do you have a cost for scaffolding listed on an invoice then? Surely the builder wouldn’t need to mention it separately if he owns it anyway? 

+1

He should not itemise it on your bill. It should be factored into/hidden in his costs. A plumber doesn't itemise for use of the spanner or blow lamp he brings with him and uses himself but ultimately you do pay for them.

It might be different if other people used the scaffolding in a addition to the MC. Did you hire subcontractors that also used it?

If not ask him to hide it or you may both have to deal with VAT on the hire element.

Edited by Temp