Gabion Basket Recommendation

My garden slopes and as part of the post build landscaping I’d like to install a row of Gabion baskets to act as a retaining wall to a lawned area. In places the baskets will be 2 metres tall. I’ve looked online and there is a huge range of styles and suppliers. Can anyone revommmend any particular types of basket and a reputable supplier, quality and price is key.

Edited by Triassic
Typo

I have just had three retaining walls erected at 2.4 metres high using concrete lego blocks. 64 blocks went in in 5 hours. Its fantastic stuff. Not sure of your location but I am very close to the Cumbrian border in Northumberland. The Lego is made nearby. Its obviously not pretty, but can be disguised. A 1200 x 600 x 600 block is £75.00. I got free delivery as local.

Simon.

We used some with quite thin gauge galvanised wire. They are great in that the wire of the basket isn't very obtrusive but you do need to put in horizontal ties about half way up to stop them from bowing outwards.  I made a jig with 4 screws, so I could bend wire to the right shape to make the ties. A flat topped 'n' shape with the legs bent back up to form hooks, then insert them from the back and hook the legs round a couple of horizontals.  The width of the top of the 'n' needs to be just over the width of one square if you see what I mean.

Also, if you look at some of the instructions, they'll have you spiralling wire around joints to keep them together - this is really hard and it's difficult to get a good join - things tend to be a bit sloppy.  Where it didn't show I used cable ties - worked a treat and gave a much better join.

We got ours from fine finish metals 6 or 7 years ago and there haven't been any issues with the cages.   We have Scottish cobbles in them and they can tend to go green after some time. If you spray them with MMC Pro algae remover - it's sold in a blue 5 litre plastic flagon and works a treat for removing green algae.  We also use it on areas of the render that tend to go green, i.e. behind plants etc.  Magic stuff!!

Simon