Research, research and more research - eventually a decision

JennyDevon

I am excited about changing my bungalow into something really awesome, but it takes me an awfully long time to make a decision as I have to research until I understand it enough (much to the annoyance of those around me).

I have joined the forum to try and learn from others, so thank you to those who are further down the journey, I appreciate you posting the challenges you are facing and your successes as it will hopefully help me to progress with my eyes a little more open than they are now – I will try and do the same and share interesting things that crop up along the way… although I am not quite ready to start yet J

19 minutes ago, JennyDevon said:

I am excited about changing my bungalow into something really awesome, but it takes me an awfully long time to make a decision as I have to research until I understand it enough (much to the annoyance of those around me).

I have joined the forum to try and learn from others, so thank you to those who are further down the journey, I appreciate you posting the challenges you are facing and your successes as it will hopefully help me to progress with my eyes a little more open than they are now – I will try and do the same and share interesting things that crop up along the way… although I am not quite ready to start yet J

Welcome to the feet, there is a crazy amount To think about but maybe start by posting what you want to achieve and what the bungalow looks like now. Don't worry about saying what you want to achieve as that will change along the journey.

Where abouts are you in Devon as there are a few on the forum down this way.

I'm in East Devon, we relocated here from Exeter a couple of years ago and have been living here to see which rooms get the best light etc.  I'm not so worried about appearance of bungalow - my current consideration is to knock it down and replace it with a kit home in order to get a toasty warm house and to keep more control of costs.  You are quite right though, that direction may change and I may well extend rather than replace.

18 minutes ago, JennyDevon said:

my current consideration is to knock it down and replace it with a kit home in order to get a toasty warm house and to keep more control of costs

It makes a lot of sense as you aren't restricted by what is already there and if you go new build you can claim the VAT back.

26 minutes ago, JennyDevon said:

I'm currently researching Scotframe, will also look at Fleming Homes - if anyone has a recommendation for a factory built home please let me know.

tbh i would go away from a set designs and go for something that you actually want and reflects the site.

There are a number of timber framers locally to you that would be able to provide bespoke factory made frames to you design.

• Like 1

Welcome, I am in west devon. Insulation insulation insulation, you only buy it once and it works forever, fuel (whatever it is) always goes up in price and payable forever ?. Yes do lots of research, I changed my mind many times about how I wanted my build. Don’t be afraid of asking questions , loads of knowledge here (and practical stuff, not salesmen!!!). Some said I was OCD about my build but it’s exactly how I wanted it. Best of luck?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonshine said:

tbh i would go away from a set designs and go for something that you actually want and reflects the site.

There are a number of timber framers locally to you that would be able to provide bespoke factory made frames to you design.

Thank you - I'll check them out

Have you checked out the planning situation? A friend of mine wanted to demolish and replace a bungalow but weren't allowed to so they had to go down the extension route, using Permitted Development Rights and be a bit creative to get what they wanted. You can have a Pre application meeting with the council usually, to get a feel for what you can do. I would have loved to demolish and replace but it was a complete non starter (stable conversion in a Conservation Area), so it's like Trigger's Broom...

14 minutes ago, joe90 said:

on what grounds??

The planners can be very awkward and use ambiguous planning policies to try to thwart peoples plans to build replacement homes out in the sticks. It took years to finally get permission for our build but if you stick at it you can win. If the property is more or less okay it can be a lot easier and quicker to alter it using PD to create what you want.

• Like 1

Just now, PeterStarck said:

The planners can be very awkward and use ambiguous planning policies to try to thwart peoples plans to build replacement homes out in the sticks. It took years to finally get permission for our build but if you stick at it you can win. If the property is more or less okay it can be a lot easier and quicker to alter it using PD to create what you want.

Oh don’t I know that , with my fight I ended up at appeal and they (IMO) are a lot more agreeable than b^^^^y planners ?‍♂️

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Not sure, but it is in a rural area

So am I, I don’t see why planners cannot pass a replacement (as long as it fits with current planning policy) my planner told me to build small and extend afterwards which is mad (and I told her so)

4 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oh don’t I know that , with my fight I ended up at appeal and they (IMO) are a lot more agreeable than b^^^^y planners ?‍♂️

I know planning consultants that deal regularly with East Devon District Council (where OP is) and they always say that the Council are pretty conservative in what they allow and aren't that progressive.

That said it really depends what area the existing house is or what @JennyDevon wants to do, as there are some stunning one off houses in East Devon that have been permitted. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Jilly said:

You can have a Pre application meeting with the council usually

Depends where you are!   Two pre-application advice request down and the nearest we got were some emails defending their initial position. Not a sign of any discussion and absolutely no time to meet us.   I'm also guessing now that even if you are in an area where they do this properly, they won't meet you because of Covid, so the best you'll get would be a phone call.

Simon

On 24/03/2021 at 19:53, Moonshine said:

You steered JennyDevon away from Fleming Homes, on the grounds of set designs, but I wonder why? According to their website they offer a bespoke design service. In fact what Fleming describe on their website looks like a more comprehensive service than offered by the three companies you mentioned.

This is of interest to me as I'm at a similar early stage of deciding what route to go. I'm looking at Potton as well, who also offer what looks like a pretty good design service.

On 24/03/2021 at 18:25, JennyDevon said:

I am excited about changing my bungalow into something really awesome, but it takes me an awfully long time to make a decision as I have to research until I understand it enough (much to the annoyance of ...

Welcome. 

Well if you annoy folk but as a result can explain both why you want something and why you don't want what others might reasonably expect you to want: stuff it. Carry on. 

Here’s our bungalow conversion no increase in footprint (we took down the conservatory), same foundations using timber frame above, we still destroyed a lot of it. Hardly groundbreaking design but we are happy. The planners are conservative round here & even outside a conservation area they tried to get us to use ugly brick slips (fortunately the NMA worked). By all means it’s not perfect probably would of only got that if we’d have rebuilt & done everything ourselves and spent ALOT more time thinking everything through but ok for a first go. Timeframes worked for us this route & we lucked out when we accidentally bought something known as an empty property so wasn’t an obvious route for rebuild on VAT. The footprint is 110sqm so was an expensive foundation to replace round here. FYI these photos are 1 year apart before we’d got planning or even spoken to builders.

AB2B1C32-B70E-4DC4-A6B9-D3C3210EE8E3.jpeg

Edited by rh2205
  • Thanks 1