Horizontal beam bracket?

ashthekid

Looking at getting a horizontal steel beam fixed to the front of a steel frame so not directly connected in line but one that sits of the front.

You'll see what I mean in the image below.

I'd like to know what kind of fixing or bracket you think is best for fixing this securely and safely?

AGH_210319_RearFacade 2.jpg

Edited by ashthekid

Yes, to span an opening. The plan is to have it sat on a brick and flint wall either side but the support to be from the bracket to the steel post. The only reason we've added it is to support the wall of glazing with bifolds below and fixed glazed windows above. It's also to support the weight of that fixed glazing above but also stop any wind deflection.

It's just how we fix it to the steel posts either side to secure it properly?

21 minutes ago, ashthekid said:

Yes, to span an opening. The plan is to have it sat on a brick and flint wall either side but the support to be from the bracket to the steel post. The only reason we've added it is to support the wall of glazing with bifolds below and fixed glazed windows above. It's also to support the weight of that fixed glazing above but also stop any wind deflection.

It's just how we fix it to the steel posts either side to secure it properly?

In that case it isn't a simple restraint fixing.

You need to know the total loads imposed on the beam,

Is the vertical leg of the cranked beam designed for the cantilever loads of the new beam and all loads?

Is the cranked beam top fixing designed for the additional cantilevered load?

Personally i would make the two side masonry columns structural and support the loads, and only fix for restraint.

The two side masonry columns are made up of the front layer bricks and flint and then a layer of concrete blocks so could potentially be used to take the support of the beam and then fixed to the steel post. I believe the plan is for the beam's load to be shared by the brick column as well as the steel posts. There wasn't going to be this beam at all, it's a last minute addition for stability at my request.

The cold bridging is being stopped by insulating the beam and then face plates by the aluminium framing.