Timescale Indication

Suffolk_J

Hi all,

Hoping to get a guide based on your knowledge and experience. We have approved planning but have submitted an amendment, this had to take the form of a new application (the initial application was a joint one for 3 plots) despite it being a fairly moderate adaptation. We hope and expect this will be smooth and are allowing 6-8 weeks.

Build will be timber frame with supplier providing structural drawings and details which I will submit to building regs. For obvious reasons I want to wait for planning approval before paying the fee for the designs they produce. Based on experience how long would you expect the process of getting building reg approval to take? Is this the best route or given the controlled nature of the build can you notify, start work and then get subsequent approval? Don't want to take any unnecessary risk but also don't want to get to the point of staring at the site with nothing happening! Sorry if this seems an obvious question but want to clarify how I'm intepretating things.

Cheers.

1 minute ago, Suffolk_J said:

We have approved planning but have submitted an amendment, this had to take the form of a new application (the initial application was a joint one for 3 plots) despite it being a fairly moderate adaptation.

That does not sound right, in my part of England an individual plot owner can submit a small design amendment for a multiple plot plan.

@epsilonGreedy The circumstances were that each plot was making amendments so had to be moved to separate applications as they couldn't all be tied to the first application that encompassed all 3 plots. I'd struggle to understand how each plot could amend the initial application independently? Happy to be told otherwise but probably too late now regardless ?

35 minutes ago, Suffolk_J said:

@epsilonGreedy The circumstances were that each plot was making amendments so had to be moved to separate applications as they couldn't all be tied to the first application that encompassed all 3 plots. I'd struggle to understand how each plot could amend the initial application independently? Happy to be told otherwise but probably too late now regardless

NMAs can specify design tweaks to specific properties. My self build neighbour submitted two NMAs that did not affect my plot or house design even though both new properties were approved under a single full application.

When submitting a list of changes it is safer to do this via a full application because in the case of an NMA that lists 7 changes where 6 are acceptable, the one item that the planners do not like will cause the whole application to be rejected. With a full application there is a period of negotiation that allows for revision of details within the scope of a single application and fee.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

13 hours ago, Suffolk_J said:

Thanks @epsilonGreedy to be fair we did seek guidance and I think the changes were beyond NMA's.

I thought that might have been the case, I was just correcting the impression that an NMA cannot be submitted to vary single property in a multi home approved plan.

I cannot offer much help on your planning variation/building control schedule dilemma. I went for private building control which might offer more flexibility in your situation. Are the floor plans similar enough to route in services ahead of approval of the variation?

How about starting a new thread seeking advice on what can be done onsite while waiting for approval on an updated design and before building control drawing submission. I think building control have to respond on a tight schedule.

Your main risk right now is that the ward councilor will object to your plan update which will then add another 1 month delay for your application to go to committee. There can be extra costs here as well preparing an info pack for the benefit of the planning committee.

Edited by epsilonGreedy