Foundation Dimensions

dawsonhousehold

Hi all

Looking for some experienced advice please. Foundations have been put in and drainage rerouted front and back, signed off by building control. The windows have been removed from the front and boarded up, windows ordered and will be fitted in a couple of weeks’ time (building control will be calling back then, never the same person)

I will be starting with the rear elevation then the front and reroofing the property starting May.

When the bricklayers have double checked the measurements at the back they have found that (looking from a bird’s eye) the footings are off to the side 300mm. (I did get some ex-convicts to put in the footings, LONG story and building control know there was an issue)

I have attached a plan & the width has gone from 1462.5 to 1900 and the length 4040 to 4600.

This is a 1/3-acre plot and I could have gone out 10 meters at the back without any problem.

Do I:-

A:- resubmit a new plan with the amended size to the council in the next week. I have plenty of time.

B:- speak to the officer and see if we can continue without re submission?

Your advice in this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

ground floor.pdf

Edited by dawsonhousehold

Why bother resubmitting? Did your plans have dimensions in them? If not, there is nothing for planning to baseline against. Also, the BCO doesn't care about whether your dimensions are different - that's not his/her remit. 

If you did put dimensions on the plans, then fair enough - but I can't see them being upset about half a metre? Once you raise it, it's a can of worms potentially. 

I would say this speaking as someone with an incredibly reasonable planning officer and building control officer...

As above, chat to the officer.  Our house dimensions changed slightly, because of the 400mm centres system the build company worked to, and I just emailed the planning officer for advice.  He emailed back pretty quickly saying it was only a minor issue and that he'd put a note in the file that he'd agreed the variation.  He also said that generally small dimensional changes, as long as they didn't create a material problem (like having the building closer to a boundary than 1 metre) were usually just accepted as being within the reasonable bounds for error.

Thank you

Just checked with the council office website and the plans have no dimensions on them! So I can’t see that they would even know there has been any change, the wall to the window is slightly closer if you wanted to take it to the extreme.

I appreciate you help.

I am miss understanding something here, can you clarify please, are you worried about planning permission or building control sign off?

I would have thought this small extension would be permitted development, so I assume it's building control you are concerned about? And since they have approved the foundations I would take that as acceptance.

The area I live in has separate by-laws. Planning needs to be approved by way of separate committee prior to being handed to the Local Authority. The permitted development rules do not apply. It was building control I was concerned about, and yes they have approved the founds and there are no dimensions on the plans so it looks good to go, I am also well within the separate by-laws regulations.