TV Aerial

Has anyone actually tried those amplified TV Aerials like this? https://www.oneforall.co.uk/tv-aerials/sv-9455-amplified-outdoor-tv-aerial#/step-1 I think @pocster was looking at a dome version.

It's more aesthetics than anything. We have a reasonable strength of signal as the main transmitter is 18 miles away. We can't have an loft aerial because of the metal roof and I don't want one of those massive Yagi style ones

That sort of an aerial is always a compromise and will be less good than a conventional one and the only way to know if it works is to buy one and try it.

Point of interest, I would not buy from them on a point of principle as their website makes it IMPOSSIBLE to decline tracking cookies that kind of makes my blood boil just a little.

• Thanks 1

The specification page is what they call "content free". No information on gain etc. Thats never a good sign. Amplifiers are also a poor alternateive to aving the correct aerial. 

Something like a small log periodic might be worth considering. Cheap from Toolstation or Screwfix. Some rate the Optima L 20 F Element for areas with good signal.

Just bear in mind that some locations and transmitter combinations have specific issues that make correct aerial choice more important. Any trees in the way

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Temp said:

The specification page is what they call "content free". No information on gain etc. Thats never a good sign. Amplifiers are also a poor alternateive to aving the correct aerial. 

Something like a small log periodic might be worth considering. Cheap from Toolstation or Screwfix. Some rate the Optima L 20 F Element for areas with good signal.

Just bear in mind that some locations and transmitter combinations have specific issues that make correct aerial choice more important. Any trees in the way

Thanks for this. I'm starting to think that actually talking to a local installer may be the best option.

Local installers should have practical experience with what works best in the area, i had a place in direct line to the transmitter mast and TV was crap ... local guy broke the Arial in half and TV was perfect after.

If you have a bad signal then an amplifier won't help. It will amplify the noise just as much as the signal and you end up no better off..  In these situations a high gain yagi aimed correctly is the better option. But they look nasty in a lit of situations. It sounds like you are not in this situation though so a simple dipole antenna might work well enough.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

Thanks for this. I'm starting to think that actually talking to a local installer may be the best option.

Do some homework here. See what sort of a signal area you're in. I'm in an extreme fringe area so have to have a band specific aerial.

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerialshttps://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials

Take a quick walk around and see what nearby houses have.  Aerials on tall poles on the chimneys mean you have a poor signal and will need something similar.  Lots of little aerials on the eaves and you have a reasonable signal and you "hidden" type aerial may work.  No aerials on any house and you have a really good signal and they are all in lofts.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Do some homework here. See what sort of a signal area you're in. I'm in an extreme fringe area so have to have a band specific aerial.

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerialshttps://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials

40 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Take a quick walk around and see what nearby houses have.  Aerials on tall poles on the chimneys mean you have a poor signal and will need something similar.  Lots of little aerials on the eaves and you have a reasonable signal and you "hidden" type aerial may work.  No aerials on any house and you have a really good signal and they are all in lofts.

According to the maps we should be fine for signal. Not many houses about here, some have massive masts some on the eaves. 
Personally I would just stream what I wanted but I'm not confident the broadband speeds are going to that great. I'm trying to avoid getting something like Sky but that maybe an option as well.

you don't need fast broadband to stream live tv.  Ours is 3MBPS on a good day and it seems to work okay, it can start to get a bit blocky if 2 in the house try and stream different things.  My grip with iptv is whoever said broadband is "always on" was an eternal optimist, or a liar.  It's the occasional stop and start that gets me.  Plus it just feels "wrong" trying to use what was designed as a data service, and is already struggling as a replacement for broadcast tv.

Our terrestrial tv signal here is pretty poor so we watch most stuff via satellite.  You need to look up "freesat"  you do NOT need "sky" or any other pay service unless you actually want pay tv.  You will need the larger "zone 2" dishes up here in Scotland.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Our terrestrial tv signal here is pretty poor so we watch most stuff via satellite.  You need to look up "freesat"  you do NOT need "sky" or any other pay service unless you actually want pay tv.  You will need the larger "zone 2" dishes up here in Scotland.

That is a great idea. It also has the added bonus that I can put in a dish myself and don't need a Sky "engineer" coming out tacking cable to the outside of the house.

I put up both terrestrial TV aerial and Free Sat dish.  Neither are particularly difficult. Sat dishes are possibly a bit harder to install because they need to be pointed a bit more accurately but you can do it with a cheap signal strength meter. The wind loading is higher with a dish so they need to be mounted a bit more securely. I guess the main advantage of a dish is they don't always need to be installed high up.

56 minutes ago, Temp said:

I guess the main advantage of a dish is they don't always need to be installed high up.

That should work then as I would like it on the gable of my garage, I'm running Cat6 between garage and house so running some coax should be fine. 

5 hours ago, TonyT said:

Not coax.  Sat cable. It’s a better cable and less ‘lossy’ from a signal point of view I.e CT100

And most people install a quad LNB so you want 4 cable runs. Typically 2 to each Freesat box. Thats because some channels are vertically polarised and others horizontally. Having 2 allows you to watch one and record another of different polarity.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

How to fit F connectors: Do use silicone/dielectric grease. It protects the connections and by dipping the cable ends in, stops moisture getting wicked up inside the cut ends.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fplugs.htm

Get yourself a tube of this stuff:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Permatex-22058-Dielectric-Tune-Up-Grease/dp/B000AL8VD2

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1

On 23/03/2021 at 10:42, Ralph said:

Has anyone actually tried those amplified TV Aerials like this? https://www.oneforall.co.uk/tv-aerials/sv-9455-amplified-outdoor-tv-aerial#/step-1 I think @pocster was looking at a dome version.

It's more aesthetics than anything. We have a reasonable strength of signal as the main transmitter is 18 miles away. We can't have an loft aerial because of the metal roof and I don't want one of those massive Yagi style ones

Yeah . I’ve got mine . Threaded coaxial cable through to all the rooms . Just need to connect up the Ariel and test it . On my todo list .... 

1 hour ago, MrSniff said:

Freesat works nicely here in Luxembourg, albeit slightly larger dish needed...

Shotgun cable from a twin LNB to the receiver keeps wiring tidy

It looks very likely that's what I will go for.