Gabions Columns

SWMBO wants to replace a rotted, now fallen over, wooden arbor her Dad built for us way back.

I'm picturing a couple of gabion like columns for the uprights, either square on plan or round, say 500mm ish diameter. I'd then gradually fill these to the top with flints. 

I'm mulling whether a pile cage would work if I got it galvanised? This sort of thing:

https://www.reinforcementproductsonline.co.uk/prefabricated-steel-reinforcement/cages/6-main-bars-3m.html

Then what to "line" it with to retain the flints, some of which would be small. 

Going further I reckon these could look pretty cool as uprights for say a car port.

Worries include if I were to bury the bottom in concrete, even if galvanised it could eventually rot. 

Thoughts?

38 minutes ago, Onoff said:

SWMBO wants to replace a rotted, now fallen over, wooden arbor her Dad built for us way back.

I'm picturing a couple of gabion like columns for the uprights, either square on plan or round, say 500mm ish diameter. I'd then gradually fill these to the top with flints. 

I'm mulling whether a pile cage would work if I got it galvanised? This sort of thing:

https://www.reinforcementproductsonline.co.uk/prefabricated-steel-reinforcement/cages/6-main-bars-3m.html

Then what to "line" it with to retain the flints, some of which would be small. 

Going further I reckon these could look pretty cool as uprights for say a car port.

Worries include if I were to bury the bottom in concrete, even if galvanised it could eventually rot. 

Thoughts?

If galvanised I wouldn't worry too much about burying them in concrete they 'll probably out last you... I like the idea of a pile cage I think it could look really nice but not sure how structurally sound it would be  vertically unless you went with heavy  main bars (25mm or 32mm) in it and you wernt going to high. You could maybe line the inside of the cage with something like D49 wrapping mesh ?? Have you a sketch of what your planning? 

Edited by Ronan 1
Because i cant spell and bloody auto correct is a pain

19 minutes ago, Ronan 1 said:

If galvanised I wouldn't worry too much about burying them in concrete they 'll probably out last you... I like the idea of a pile cage I think it could look really nice but not sure how structurally sound it would be  vertically unless you went with heavy  main bars (25mm or 32mm) in it and you wernt going to high. You could maybe line the inside of the cage with something like D49 wrapping mesh ?? Have you a sketch of what your planning? 

Or just hide a structural post in the middle of the flint column? 

No sketch yet, can only barely picture it in my head! 

If money were no object etc.