Metal in the wall

So moved into the new place and noticed some blown harling under neath a window (or French doors as they're almost floor to ceiling)

Peeking out is some rotten metal, but I can't work out why. Only thought is a lintel below the opening, but then again why apart from distribution of load.

Was this the done thing back in 1930s when the house was built?

Edited by ash_scotland88

12 hours ago, Triassic said:

looks like a steel reinforced concrete cill. Nothing to worry about. treat the steel and repoint the blown area.

That could very much be it!

Guessing (without googling) it's remove render (harling) to expose the length, treat the steel with some chemical coating, then patch up.

• 2 months later...

Slight update on this.

General builder round getting some quotes and he said it's due to a lack of a sill/ inappropriate sill. He said the water runs down the cavity and gets stopped by the bricks which then causes the rust and "blow out."

I get what he's saying but also all the windows are the same style of sill. And this one (and maybe another one with some blown render but could be aerial and cable clips pulled it off) have the issue. It could have been installed wrong almost 90 years a go I appreciate that.

His solution is cast in place concrete sill, which I am reluctant to have as suddenly there's one window with an over hang modern style sill.

Anyone else have any ideas?

No sign of damp in out, no sign of rotten floor boards.