Trees (again !)

Buzz

Today we finally got round to dealing with our trees , serious question, most of the big stuff will be removed but how much is considered acceptable to be burned on site as the small stuff is going to take forever to remove ? 

trees 1.jpg

trees.jpg

Put an advert on your local freecycle or gumtree and offer it free for collection as firewood.  I hate to see useful fire wood just burned on site.  Let "customers" pick over it and only burn what nobody will take.

• Like 1

Looks like you've got plenty of scope to burn without smoking your neighbours out if you pick a day with the wind in the right direction.  I'd burn it all, but maybe not all in one go (although its tempting to clear the lot once you've got a good fire going!)

Edited by Roundtuit

Thanks for the reply's , one young chap has already taken 3 loads as it was being cut up and is coming back for the rest during the week  leaving the stumps and roots which will be dug out when the founds go in and then carted away, leaving the small rubbish to clear. i am tempted once all the good useable wood has gone to a good home to burn the rest as long as its not illegal .

56 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

I don't think having a bonfire is illegal as such - the only legal requirement I am aware off is that any "bonfire" has to be at 50 metres from the highway.

Never heard of the distance requirement; as I understand it, you just have to ensure smoke doesn't endanger traffic, and not cause a nuisance.

Pile it up and let it dry out for a couple months before burning. It'll burn far faster and cleaner and not annoy people as much.

We're we are we're allowed 4 fires per year... Any more and it can be considered a nuisance.

• Like 1

Just wait until the wind is blowing away from houses and get on with it. I have 60m of hedge and the annual cutting produce three bonfires worth. I cut it in January and leave it for a month or two for any greenery to dry out. Few pints of diesel get it going.

3 hours ago, Roundtuit said:

Never heard of the distance requirement; as I understand it, you just have to ensure smoke doesn't endanger traffic, and not cause a nuisance.

Highways act 1980 - sorry - 50 feet not metres - refers to fireworks etc  Here it is in full

For section 161(2) (penalty for lighting a fire or discharging a firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of a highway) there shall be substituted the following subsection—

(2)If a person without lawful authority or excuse—

(a)lights any fire on or over a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or

(b)discharges any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of such a highway,

and in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale..

(3)After section 161 there shall be inserted the following section—

161ADanger or annoyance caused by fires lit otherwise than on highways.

(1)If a person—

(a)lights a fire on any land not forming part of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or

(b)directs or permits a fire to be lit on any such land,

and in consequence a user of any highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered by, or by smoke from, that fire or any other fire caused by that fire, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.

(2)In any proceedings for an offence under this section it shall be a defence for the accused to prove—

(a)that at the time the fire was lit he was satisfied on reasonable grounds that it was unlikely that users of any highway consisting of or comprising a carriageway would be injured, interrupted or endangered by, or by smoke from, that fire or any other fire caused by that fire; and

(b)either—

(i)that both before and after the fire was lit he did all he reasonably could to prevent users of any such highway from being so injured, interrupted or endangered, or

(ii)that he had a reasonable excuse for not doing so..

Edited by Redoctober
Correction

22 hours ago, Redoctober said:

Highways act 1980 - sorry - 50 feet not metres - refers to fireworks etc  Here it is in full

For section 161(2) (penalty for lighting a fire or discharging a firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of a highway) there shall be substituted the following subsection—

(2)If a person without lawful authority or excuse—

(a)lights any fire on or over a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or

(b)discharges any firearm or firework within 50 feet of the centre of such a highway,

and in consequence a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 3 on the standard scale..

(3)After section 161 there shall be inserted the following section—

161ADanger or annoyance caused by fires lit otherwise than on highways.

(1)If a person—

(a)lights a fire on any land not forming part of a highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway; or

(b)directs or permits a fire to be lit on any such land,

and in consequence a user of any highway which consists of or comprises a carriageway is injured, interrupted or endangered by, or by smoke from, that fire or any other fire caused by that fire, that person is guilty of an offence and liable to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale.

(2)In any proceedings for an offence under this section it shall be a defence for the accused to prove—

(a)that at the time the fire was lit he was satisfied on reasonable grounds that it was unlikely that users of any highway consisting of or comprising a carriageway would be injured, interrupted or endangered by, or by smoke from, that fire or any other fire caused by that fire; and

(b)either—

(i)that both before and after the fire was lit he did all he reasonably could to prevent users of any such highway from being so injured, interrupted or endangered, or

(ii)that he had a reasonable excuse for not doing so..

OK, thanks.  So as I read it, no distance restriction for fires, as long as it doesn't interfere with or endanger users of the highway.

Thanks for all the reply's , going to burn the small stuff, any reason why i shouldn't burn it on top of where we are going to build ? just trying to save some time and effort in moving it all the way to the end of the plot. 

2 hours ago, Buzz said:

Thanks for all the reply's , going to burn the small stuff, any reason why i shouldn't burn it on top of where we are going to build ? just trying to save some time and effort in moving it all the way to the end of the plot. 

We burnt ours on an area that was eventually used as our drive way. Also, the best £25 I spent was on  an old Juice drum converted into an incinerator. Still got it and use it.