Premix Tub Mortar

I couldn't get for this place but is definatley the way forward. Think there's a bit more wastage and bit of waiting time but if you have a dumpy of sand and few cement on site for blockwork to avoid dead starts. 

• Thanks 1

Haven’t used it for a few years & so you only remember the problems as time passes...

With the retarder it can be like soup when delivered so Monday mornings can be a stress as it’s unlikely you have anything usable left from the previous week. 
Towards the end of its time it can need knocking up a lot (especially in summer) so it’s worth spinning it in the mixer for a bit. 
No colour variation is an obvious plus & I believe there are firms who’ll deliver as little as one tub,though I imagine you pay over the odds for that amount. 

3 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

What’s all the problems the mass builders are having with mortar joints all falling out. 

Was it just a bad batch or are they specifically getting weaker mix to save money.

I read a report on this issue and the problem was blamed on some parts of the construction industry changing to mortars specified to meet performance criteria rather than specified by ingredient ratios. Once something as nebulous as mortar "performance" is used it is simpler to cut corners.

13 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

What’s all the problems the mass builders are having with mortar joints all falling out. 

Was it just a bad batch or are they specifically getting weaker mix to save money. 

They use silo not tub mix. Very different products. 

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Think there's a bit more wastage and bit of waiting time but if you have a dumpy of sand and few cement on site for blockwork to avoid dead starts. 

Yep below ground could be done using a mixer. Wastage can be managed. 

Company we use will deliver 3 or 4 empty tubs and we used to order a couple on a Monday and same Wednesday, could sometimes get away with a single and they had no issues with that.

Mix consistency and colour was perfect, and wrapped with a plastic bag (how they keep the tubs clean) it lasted 3 days. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

So @PeterW what’s been the problem with the silo stuff. 

So the silos can be premixed and when it’s blown in the cement can separate from the sand as it’s smaller so you can find the cement drops to the bottom and comes out first. They are supposed to mix it and check the cement content but that never happens. 

• Like 1