Cleanable Waste Chute next to cutting board

puntloos

After a private discussion with @ryder72 - we were wondering:

- Assume a prep area on an island

- The prep area is (say) 600mm deep (this comes from the depth of a hob plus a small rim in the front of the hob)

- The full island depth would then be about 900mm  (assuming a 300mm half-depth cabinet attached)

-> Can we create a "food waste" chute in a 300mm half-depth cabinet that is Cleanable?

Would this work:  https://binopolis.com/wesco-ergo-master-worktop-food-waste-bin.html? Other ideas?

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

I really would not want a massive cut-out in my worktop just to accommodate the food waste bin. 

Why not? ?

3 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

We just have the bins integrated into a Vauth-Sagel pull-out unit.

Problem with this is that you are actually in the way of the pull-out while prepping. You don't want to have to stand back, just to slide the food 'into your lap', no?

OK to be fair I sort of understand that there's a certain aesthetic reason against having a hole in your worktop, plus if you need a flat surface, this hole (and the 'lid') might interfere. 

But I could imagine finding the 'right place' and 'right size' might just work.

We're putting in a small prep sink on the island with an insinkerator. Just slide the waste in to the sink, and as I say to my 11month old, "all gone!!!"

Edited by Conor

8 hours ago, puntloos said:

Ex:hiddenbin.jpg.c9b1ae7fbb16f7c87f7b2963e8c70c0f.jpg

We had one very similar in an IKEA oak  worksurface around 20 years ago after seeing similar in a friends custom built kitchen..! Was about 8” in diameter and worked pretty well although it suffered the exact same problem they all do ... no-one emptied the bin when it was full..!!

Think from memory we didn’t have too many problems with smells or anything like that - doing it again I would want some sort of chute as it was just free fall into a round bin insert. 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

We had one very similar in an IKEA oak  worksurface around 20 years ago after seeing similar in a friends custom built kitchen..! Was about 8” in diameter and worked pretty well although it suffered the exact same problem they all do ... no-one emptied the bin when it was full..!!

Ha, true for normal caddies as well though. 

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

Think from memory we didn’t have too many problems with smells or anything like that - doing it again I would want some sort of chute as it was just free fall into a round bin insert. 

Yep smells and cleanability are the main concerns here, and especially with a chute I worry that the sides become very grotty.