roof trusses

Buzz

They still do it the Old School way up here (long since banished in London) - the crane drops down the T - Bar that sits in the head of the truss and off you go.  Safe and a piece of p*ss to do.

If you are stressing on your truss lift then get down here on Thursday for the circus!

8 minutes ago, Faz said:

If you want to see a major truss lift come down on the 25th - we are doing my Plot then - standard and attic trusses, dormers the whole show.  Booked the crane for the day but he will be off by early pm I suspect.  I will give you the crane chaps details - he is good and cheapish (bargain basement to my London eyes!).

I'm sure i have a customer care meeting at the Godmanchester RDC on that day ?

If I were you I would bin it and come and have a look mate - just toss the 'it's COVID inn'it' grenade into the mix.

If you are in any doubts about how these things will go on I have the whole spectrum on display next week!  Hopefully it will go well!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Faz said:

You should be fine for 1 day - I did the trusses on Plot 1 last week - the crane was gone in 2 hours.  Half day hire and job done for £400.

The issue you may have is relying on the crane to offload the delivery which could be delayed 20210318_073835_resized.thumb.jpg.830ae03abe521726dc7d6650dd592722.jpg- far better if you offload prior to the day with the forks.

Faz. I don't know why, but i thought you were London based ? I can see Green in the background. Where are you, and are you moonlighting ?

If you get the truss delivered at least a day before, wise move in my opinion, then remember to store them upright. Don't lie them flat on the ground as they will get twisted or damaged.  A pile of blocks or trees or scaffolding will be ideal.

9 hours ago, Big Jimbo said:

Faz. I don't know why, but i thought you were London based ? I can see Green in the background. Where are you, and are you moonlighting ?

Moved up to the Fen 18 months ago - a lucky escape!  We are just outside Ramsey - 20 mins for you.

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

Moved up to the Fen 18 months ago - a lucky escape!  We are just outside Ramsey - 20 mins for you.

Bloody hell fella. That is the nearest place to my Daughter. It's where she goes for her takaway Chinese. She is in Wistow.

53 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

How is OP going to loft trusses off the truck? Telehandler did I read he had?

He mentioned he had the use of one. But with truss that wide they will be on a fairly large unit that hopefully has a hiab.

9 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

With ones as heavy as that i reckon you'd want to sling them properly not just stick the forks in the middle and lift

9 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

With ones as heavy as that i reckon you'd want to sling them properly not just stick the forks in the middle and lift

I'm with you. Lifting them, extending the forks, and waiting for the tip would not be my idea of fun,

Trusses actually are not that heavy in the scheme of things.  I took them off for my plot (3,000 sq. ft) in 2 batches - I have a JCB 535-140.

They are just awkward - had to stand down all of my heras fencing in preparation.

3 minutes ago, Faz said:

Trusses actually are not that heavy in the scheme of things. 

The one in the post earlier is 1165kg... your 140 has a max lift of 1000kg at full reach, so would be maxed on this at 7.5m as these are 15m trusses at nearly 4.5m high. The lifting points are also around 3.5m up and 2m apart so you would have to sling higher than 5m and use a spreader on the forks -  dangling a 15m long truss off the forks and moving it safely is not something I would recommend is a safe handling scenario ..!

@Buzz I would also check how these are being delivered and loaded, as some companies turn the larger trusses upside down onto the trailers so the peak fits into the well between the tractor and the wheels. You will have the issue of having to both unload and rotate the truss without damage as it will need to be stored on its bottom chord. 

1 hour ago, Faz said:

Been on site this morning (after having the jab) and snapped a pic of my trusses. These came off in 2 hits - no need to extend much of the boom to get them off.

20210320_150207.jpg

The ashlar quoins and window surrounds look very posh.  I look forward to seeing these completed.

In 2 minds about the quoins...

The surrounds are nice - the door head (that you can't see here) and the window ones in particular - the bay is a bit plain tbh.

The whole lot was £6k which for wet cast stone is pretty good!

Thanks everyone for the advice and opinions , just to throw one more out there i have asked for a quote from 2 sips suppliers but still waiting for the numbers to come through (roof only) anyone ever put a sips roof on a masonry build ? 

1 hour ago, Faz said:

In 2 minds about the quoins...

The surrounds are nice - the door head (that you can't see here) and the window ones in particular - the bay is a bit plain tbh.

Oh well, you can always render or pebble dash if it looks crap!

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The ashlar quoins and window surrounds look very posh.  I look forward to seeing these completed.

There is a massive stone arch window to come in the gable end of the garage which should set the whole thing off hopefully - the (yet another) specially made lintel rocks up on Monday.

You need a full lintel to support the stone - it stops short of where you will point in the gunk mix the stone people send you.  If you are going to do surrounds and bay posts you really need to take care in setting the top of the posts - the lintel is going to sit 10mm (mortar bed) over the top of the bay stone - most brickies screw this up (including mine on the gf).

• Like 1

I'd recommend Cambridge Crane hire as I used them. A day was around the £500 mark I think. Your heaviest truss (~1165kg) would be a nightmare with a telehandler. I arranged the crane to arrive before the trusses (two lorries in my case) and we got them all on. Would have been a miserable day doing it by telehandler and was a fun day with the right tool for the job.

You have to weigh up the saving vs the risk and cost of fixing a disaster. I hired a 17m telehandler to fit some steels (400kg each) and chickened out at the last minute swapping to a crane. The plant guys were cool about it and swapped to a smaller machine that I needed to move blocks and the crane driver had a very early start to his weekend. There have been few times I have been so relieved to spend ~£500. It's a weight off when you make the decision like that.

Have a hard think about whether there is anything else you could use the crane for. We lifted up lintels and sheets of plywood which saved a lot of effort. With more planning, I could have done more too (flooring chipboard, plasterboard...).

I went with Pasquill. They said the only treatment offered is for longhorn beetle which is an issue near Surrey I believe. I wanted some form of damp treatment, but the companies I spoke to didn't offer it. 

I used Jamie Nunn (JN Crane Hire) - good lad.

I have a 14m forks but did not consider for a second using that to sling the trusses on.  Used it to set in place a massive lintel at the back and also the stone head over the front door. Don't need a crane to drop anything on the loading bays - that would just be a pain in the arse...