Contracts - which one and what to add?

Triassic

For our ground works contract, all I did was agree in writing the specification, which included my site and services drawings, a QS costings and quantities table, the structural engineers drawings and specifications and the topographic survey (to calculate volumes) and agree a written schedule of works, broken down into stages, with a payment for each completed stage.  I also included a few clauses to cover things like responsibilities, site security, a requirement for the contractor to give me a copy of his insurance and highways approval etc, just so we knew exactly who was responsible for what.  This went into some detail, as it included things like the provision of toilet and hand washing facilities, secure site storage (I had none), the limitations of our self-build insurance with regard to anything stolen from the site etc.  We only had one change, and that was to the invert depth and gradient of a drain, suggested by the contractor and with no cost impact (confirmed in writing).  All told it was quite time-consuming to draw up, and I think I probably went into too much detail, but it did give me a bit of peace of mind!

The house contract was a lot simpler.  It was a pretty standard form of contract, with much the same as above but with the drawings etc referenced, and only small copies included in the annex to the contract itself.  If I get time, I could have a go at editing out the stuff that's commercial and personally sensitive and seeing if what's left looks reasonable for a boiler-plate template for the house foundations and build.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

If I get time, I could have a go at editing out the stuff that's commercial and personally sensitive and seeing if what's left looks reasonable for a boiler-plate template for the house foundations and build.

That's sounds wonderful and would Be very useful, not only for me, but others that come along in future.

6 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Are you going to prepare one for each stage of the build?

Yes @Triassic sadly it is true, I have one prepared for every element of my build. I intend to submit them as part of my tendering process when the time comes later this year. I can't take all the credit as I lifted the various stages / elements out of an article in one of the Building magazines I read.

If the Admin team could suggest a suitable place for future reference, I could up load them for everyone's benefit if it was thought worthwhile.

PW. 

• Like 2

Here goes - I have had to publish them separately as opposed to an entire work book - Hope people find them useful. I no longer have the source document and please remember, these lists have been "tuned" to our particular build so some things may not apply universally and or are missing.

PW.

Brick layers.pdf

Carpentry.pdf

Electrican.pdf

Groundworks.pdf

Landscaper.pdf

Misc.pdf

Plasterer.pdf

Plumber.pdf

Prelims.pdf

Roofer.pdf

• Like 1