2 storey extension

Charteris

Hi

i am new to this site and I’m hoping it’s going to be a lot friendlier than another one I joined ????

we bought a 3 bedroom semi last year which we are currently living in as well as renovating.

we applied for pp for a 4m deep 2 storey full width rear extension but was refused with the reasoning being it would appear too over bearing and dominant on our neighbours. We have appealed but I don’t think it will be successful. Our neighbour didn’t object but she did make a very carefully written comment about it affecting her light.

Anyway, I’m trying to look ahead at what our options are. I have been researching the 6m larger home extension scheme but i can’t find any info on whether we would be able to have the full width 6m deep on the ground floor and perhaps a 3m deep half width on the 2nd floor? On the side of our house which is furthest away from our neighbour?

does anyone have any info on this please? Or has anyone been successful in doing similar??many thanks 

I think that your second storey rear extension would need to meet the 45 degree rule from your next door neighbours window. So it might be possible to get a full width ground floor, and perhaps a half width first floor. Go down the garden, and get us a couple of pics.

• Like 1

We did a large extension on our first house which was an end of terrace with a pre-existing single storey extension on the full width at the back. 

We went on top of the existing rear extension using the 45 degree limit to take that to 2 storey and then a 2 storey side extension all the way down the house. 

We’d never have got away with (or kept happy neighbours) if we’d gone 2 storey over the whole of the back.

8 hours ago, Charteris said:

i can’t find any info on whether we would be able to have the full width 6m deep on the ground floor and perhaps a 3m deep half width on the 2nd floor?

Not under PD I’m afraid so whatever you decide would have to meet Planning policy. 

What’s wrong with two storey at the side and a single at the back. 

Its called a wrap around, it’s a good solution as it replaces over half of your previous external walls with new better constructed walls. 

Large open plan kitchen diner at the back, couple of rooflights in it, will bring it kicking and screaming into 2021. 

9 hours ago, Charteris said:

Hi

i am new to this site and I’m hoping it’s going to be a lot friendlier than another one I joined ????

we bought a 3 bedroom semi last year which we are currently living in as well as renovating.

we applied for pp for a 4m deep 2 storey full width rear extension but was refused with the reasoning being it would appear too over bearing and dominant on our neighbours. We have appealed but I don’t think it will be successful. Our neighbour didn’t object but she did make a very carefully written comment about it affecting her light.

Anyway, I’m trying to look ahead at what our options are. I have been researching the 6m larger home extension scheme but i can’t find any info on whether we would be able to have the full width 6m deep on the ground floor and perhaps a 3m deep half width on the 2nd floor? On the side of our house which is furthest away from our neighbour?

does anyone have any info on this please? Or has anyone been successful in doing similar??many thanks 

Hello Charteris.

That's one of the reasons I joined BH too as folk are helpful, you can make a daft post and not get pelted for it. It's also a great place to learn stuff.

Could you do a wrap around single storey extension, you may have thought about this already.  Keep the walls 1.0m off the boundary say. With a wrap around single storey you can vault the ceilings etc, bring light in from the roof.. loads of options. Then you get to play with a layout and kitchen design. It may be that you are looking for something of higher quality rather than just a lot of extra floor space?

But, if you do this wrap around you can cut off car access to the rear if you want to put a garage up in the back garden. It can be trade off. Do you just need extra bedrooms or do you want to create a great living space all on ground level? Sometimes getting knocked back to start with can actually be of benefit as it really makes you think about what you need and want. This can allow you to spend more efficiently.

All the best with the project.

6 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

What’s wrong with two storey at the side and a single at the back. 

Its called a wrap around, it’s a good solution as it replaces over half of your previous external walls with new better constructed walls. 

Large open plan kitchen diner at the back, couple of rooflights in it, will bring it kicking and screaming into 2021. 

Russell.

You beat me to it by seconds.

My personal opinion is you have no chance whatsoever. Of getting that at the back. 

Why not build the workshop at the side, two beds above it and kitchen diner around the back. 

Its a fairly standard thing, so planners are familiar with it, ask for something rather unconventional and you make them twitch and start looking at reasons to refuse. 

Has anybody done this rear rear extension near you. 

2 doors down have done something similar. They have 5m deep full width on the ground floor, 3.5m deep on the second storey just over half width....... and the second storey is even on the attached neighbours side of the boundary with a window 

0F68A35D-2C9F-4648-8336-53EA40A141B0.jpeg