40mm waste. Keeping smells in.

Russdl

The supplier got back in touch. Regarding the overflow going directly outside he says that it doesn’t have to, highlighting examples of installations in flats and other locations where any route to an outside wall was not a possibility (makes sense). 

He suggested a standard U bend would more than suffice as the regeneration would keep that suitably ‘wet’. He made no mention of the any air gap and as my mind was on other things when he called, I forgot to ask!  He says that the regen can go uphill, by a couple of stories if necessary, but the overflow obviously has to go down hill. (It’s downhill all the way for me)

So, my plan now is that I’m going to go with something like a washing machine trap as suggested by @Temp for the regen and wedged in alongside a bit of clear tube with the overflow going into the top of that so I can see/hear if it’s overflowing. 

(Hopefully it will look a bit better than that Heath Robinson description when I’ve finished). 

Standing by for any contrary advice.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/03/2021 at 16:20, PeterStarck said:

My water softener overflow and drain both go into a waste with the overflow at the bottom RHS and drain at the top RHS. The BCO didn't say there was a problem and it's worked fine for three years.

635380244_UtilityWaste.thumb.JPG.50d1e1bb68861c65118d8dc6eb1a3163.JPG

I think this is the approach I am going to go with @PeterStarck can I ask where you got the adaptors for for connecting this?  I don't seem to be having any luck here working out what to get.

1 hour ago, andy said:

I think this is the approach I am going to go with @PeterStarck can I ask where you got the adaptors for for connecting this?  I don't seem to be having any luck here working out what to get.

The stack is made up of McAlpine 40mm BSP fittings with the odd size adaptors for different hoses from Ebay.

• Like 1

On 28/03/2021 at 09:40, PeterStarck said:

The stack is made up of McAlpine 40mm BSP fittings with the odd size adaptors for different hoses from Ebay.

Thanks, will see what I can find!