40mm waste. Keeping smells in.

Russdl

It’s a bit pongy on occasions in our plant room. After a quick sniff around it would seem to be that the waste in the image below is the source but how do I seal that up? Is there a grommet thingy or do I need a HepVo type trap?

The two pipes going in are from the water softener. 

86A2BD17-60F5-4BF8-B4AD-20D9CCE4CBDB.jpeg

Yep it’s going into that SVP behind it. The pipe coming through the wall is from the kitchen sink (that has a U bend before coming through the wall). I thought of squirty foam but hadn’t cleared it in my head how I would stop the foam dripping down the pipe and blocking the 90 degree bend at the bottom. 

Will one of those Hep type traps, fitted vertically work?

I have the same plumbing I need to finish in my utility for softener and I am planning on putting one of these in:

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/overflow-fittings/tun-dishes-non-return-valves/tun5-cl-tunvalve-straight-through-clear

Or

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/overflow-fittings/tun-dishes-non-return-valves/mactunc-tundish-self-closing-valve

My understanding is that for regs compliance there has to be a break between the regen/overflow and drain which a tundish would give you.

The bit I haven't worked out is how I "properly" secure the overflow and regen outflow into a pipe that feeds in above the tundish apart from doing similar to what you've done @Russdl

This is work to be done in a few weeks for me, so good timing on question :)

That installation as it is breaches water bylaws as you don’t have the necessary air breaks between the drain and a potable water supply. 

Suggest an RTFM on the water softener install and then put HepVo or similar plus correct tundish. Has to be an open tundish from memory as it must allow the drain to overflow and not contaminate the water supply hose. 

@andy thanks for those links, most useful. I think I’ll have to undo what has been put here and start again with this new found knowledge. 

21 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Suggest an RTFM on the water softener install

If that’s what I think it is, there is no ‘F’in installation manual.

The water softener supplier was going to install the softener but the plumber on site said he would install it. So the supplier left the building, along with his installation knowledge. 

49 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That installation as it is breaches water bylaws as you don’t have the necessary air breaks between the drain and a potable water supply. 

Suggest an RTFM on the water softener install and then put HepVo or similar plus correct tundish. Has to be an open tundish from memory as it must allow the drain to overflow and not contaminate the water supply hose. 

I must admit to not being too clear on the exact bits here @PeterW myself.  I didn't think both a HepVo and tundish were needed if the tundish has a self-closing membrane?  Then I can just have both regen and overflow feeding in above the tundish?

40 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Look it up on the web ..?

Yep, did that and drew a blank but my Googling skills have been found wanting in the past. 

41 minutes ago, PeterW said:

These things aren’t difficult to install. 

It would appear not, but also not difficult to install in a non compliant fashion. I’ll endeavour to find all the rules and redo it myself. 

@andy the tundish solution sounds like it will be the easiest for me to go with, I’ll see what I can find out regs wise. 

2 hours ago, Russdl said:

@andy thanks for those links, most useful. I think I’ll have to undo what has been put here and start again with this new found knowledge. 

If that’s what I think it is, there is no ‘F’in installation manual.

The water softener supplier was going to install the softener but the plumber on site said he would install it. So the supplier left the building, along with his installation knowledge. 

So the plumber did it wrong and it's against the by-laws,

Surely the first response is to get onto the plumber for him to put it right gratis.  

• Like 1

Now I realise that it is so wrong I’ll get hold of the supplier who was going to install it and have a chat with him. 

regarding the overflow pipe having to go external I do recall asking the supplier about that and it doesn’t have to, but I think that is where one of the tundishes that @andy linked to comes into play. 

I’ll update when I have some clarity. 

My water softener overflow and drain both go into a waste with the overflow at the bottom RHS and drain at the top RHS. The BCO didn't say there was a problem and it's worked fine for three years.

635380244_UtilityWaste.thumb.JPG.50d1e1bb68861c65118d8dc6eb1a3163.JPG

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Thanks 1

@PeterStarck thanks for that.

When @PeterW mentioned the overflow going direct to outside that fired up a vague memory from before taking receipt of the water softener and being told the overflow would have to go direct to the outside, I was dead against the idea and checked with the supplier who said it wasn’t necessary. Im just waiting to hear back from him to see if your kind of set up is what he would advise. 

2 hours ago, Russdl said:

@PeterStarck thanks for that.

When @PeterW mentioned the overflow going direct to outside that fired up a vague memory from before taking receipt of the water softener and being told the overflow would have to go direct to the outside, I was dead against the idea and checked with the supplier who said it wasn’t necessary. Im just waiting to hear back from him to see if your kind of set up is what he would advise. 

That’s from a picture on a Harvey softener that states it needs to.  The minimax is made by Harvey anyway - worth checking with them ..?

• Thanks 1

@PeterW I think I vaguely recall it’s so that you can clearly see when it’s overflowing, we could achieve that in the plan room with one of those see through tundish/trap combinations. Hopefully I’ll hear back from the supplier tomorrow and update with any news - hopefully good news. 

12 hours ago, Russdl said:

@PeterW I think I vaguely recall it’s so that you can clearly see when it’s overflowing, we could achieve that in the plan room with one of those see through tundish/trap combinations. Hopefully I’ll hear back from the supplier tomorrow and update with any news - hopefully good news. 

I had a repair carried out on my softener under guarantee and the Harveys plumber looked at the overflow pipe and the only comment was that it should be a straight pipe from the softener to the waste. Mine curved round and he altered it to be straight.