MLR1907

Automated lighting and lamps

Hello,

Looking at fully automated systems and was reading up on doing home-run style wiring for central control and I got to thinking about lamps, the standing/ table type which most of us have around the house. 

I’m not a huge fan of building lights into everything, it’s restrictive or expensive if you redecorate and there is just something nice about a reading lamp. 

Ideally though, I’d like them all on the same central control system as the ceiling lights but I wondered how best to go about it? Is it possible to put in “lighting specific” sockets that home run in the same way as a mains lighting feed? Or do I have to faff about with separate smart sockets or bulbs requiring their own hub or WiFi?

Would love to hear if there is an elegant way to get a normal lamp into the system.

Thanks

Way back when I was at uni, 5A round pin plugs and sockets on the lighting circuit were used for this purpose. Not sure if this is still the way to do it.

I have 2 amp sockets switched from the door position in my rooms.

table lamps and floor standing lamps plugged in corresponding 2amp sockets.

works for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dnb said:

Way back when I was at uni, 5A round pin plugs and sockets on the lighting circuit were used for this purpose. Not sure if this is still the way to do it.

Can still buy them...

5A round pin socket 

As I was using Klik ceiling roses, I've used Klik wallplates  for the remote-switched lighting .

• Like 1