Automated lighting and lamps

Hello,

Looking at fully automated systems and was reading up on doing home-run style wiring for central control and I got to thinking about lamps, the standing/ table type which most of us have around the house. 

I’m not a huge fan of building lights into everything, it’s restrictive or expensive if you redecorate and there is just something nice about a reading lamp. 

Ideally though, I’d like them all on the same central control system as the ceiling lights but I wondered how best to go about it? Is it possible to put in “lighting specific” sockets that home run in the same way as a mains lighting feed? Or do I have to faff about with separate smart sockets or bulbs requiring their own hub or WiFi?

Would love to hear if there is an elegant way to get a normal lamp into the system.

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 17/03/2021 at 17:35, dnb said:

Way back when I was at uni, 5A round pin plugs and sockets on the lighting circuit were used for this purpose. Not sure if this is still the way to do it.

Wasn't it called university then, and just how old are you.  Last house I saw that had round pins was my Grandmother's, that was build in 1936, but the wiring was upgraded to AC not long after WW2 (by my Father and Jean Shrimpton's Father)

Edited by SteamyTea

6 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Wasn't it called university then, and just how old are you

I'm not all that old (despite what my daughter might say). The last time I saw round pin sockets in a domestic setting was in an upmarket part of London when I was labouring for a builder to make ends meet in 1999/2000. They were specifically for lighting of course.

+1, I wire 5 amp round pin sockets around the lounge, bedroom back to a double light switch by the door, one to switch the main light on and one to power the sockets, great fir standard lamps, table lamps etc all controlled from the doorway but these lamps can be switched off at each location by the switch on the lamp itself if required. 

Have a look a the Shelly ecosystem and particularly plugs.

Can wire in for the main lights and plug in/ in line for the lamps. Then a single app to control it all.

Or put their devices behind the switch and switch all of it from the wall....

Saves 5A sockets you can't plug anything else into and re-wiring to a fixed point where the 5A socket is.

On 18/07/2021 at 14:15, SteamyTea said:

Last house I saw that had round pins was my Grandmother's, that was build in 1936

I can see some from where I'm sitting!!   House built in the early 60's.

But they are going to freak out the next owners when we sell up before moving into the new build...

But I'd say use normal sockets and wifi switches, or wifi sockets - also saves on having to buy the old round pin plugs...  There are lots of variants around.

Simon

Edited by Bramco

• 1 month later...

Hi.... Is there an approach to try not to have bunches of centers? Subsequent to investing a bit of energy exploring I figure most of my LED lights could be by means of LightWaveRF controls (age 2 in Oct which is HomeKit viable) and would adore the Philips Hue Bulbs for the rest. In any case, that implies a center for Philips and a center for LightWave. I surmise the Apple HomeKit implies still only one application, yet two centers is a bit inconvenient, assuming they're wired to the switch.

• 2 months later...